Architecture/Remodeling an outdated house

My husband and I are seriously considering the purchase of the attached home. It was built in 1990, and I do not find it to be entirely visually appealing. I really like cape cod type houses, but don't know if this one would lend itself to such a remodel. Really don't like the way the entry porch looks, and the upper addition just seems odd. Your ideas are greatly appreciated.

Hi Maureen - thanks for your question.

Wow, this house is going to need some significant work to become anything like a Cape Cod design!

The front porch is easy to remove, but to get the kind of roof line and massing typical of a Cape Cod home you're going to need to build a new roof that overlays the existing one enough to engulf the weird second floor.

The bay windows are very "cape-like", and you'd need to remove the "columns" on both floors.  Something will need to be done about those second-floor windows!

Pretty big job, especially since Capes are typically very small homes, less than half the size of this one.

You might consider a slight shift in your stylistic taste - this house could more easily be transformed into a bit of a hybrid Craftsman, which would give you a front porch across the front with a less-involved roof replacement.

The existing second floor could become a shed dormer (with new windows) in an Craftsman-ish remodel, and besides, the characteristics of a Craftsman home would be more appropriate for this climate than a Cape Cod (Capes are "huddle" houses - originally designed to enclose space in a tiny footprint, with a large central fireplace to huddle around in the winter).

Craftsman homes are more spread out and open, with deeper overhangs that protect a home better in a snowy climate (this house has some of that already).

Good luck with the project!

Richard Taylor, AIA

Ask me about all aspects of house, remodeling. , and room addition design and construction. Ask me about historic homes, renovation, and restoration. Ask me about materials and techniques, and about how you can get the best value for your design and construction dollar. Ask me how you can make your home a very special place. I can't, however, answer specific structural engineering questions in this forum - that's something you'll need on-site observation for.

I own a full-service residential architectural firm, and have been designing custom homes, remodelings, and room additions across the country since 1983. Check us out at Richard Taylor Architects and RTA Plans. I have written and been published extensively on the subject of residential architecture.

American Institute of Architects, City of Dublin Architectural Review Board, Vice Chair of City of Dublin Planning and Zoning Commission, American Planning Association, Board Member Historic Dublin Business Association, Past Editor of SPLASH (a software forum), Past Editor of Open Directory Project, Assistant Scoutmaster, Boy Scouts of America

Business First of Columbus, Suburban New Publications,, Cleveland Plain Dealer, Columbus Dispatch Residential Architect Custom Home Architect Remodeling Architect

Bachelor of Environmental Design (Architecture) Miami University 1983
For more about home design, check out my blog at Sense Of Place and join the conversation on our Facebook Page.

2010 Dublin Chamber of Commerce Business Person of the Year