Architecture/Lintel out of railway sleepers

Question

We bought an old stone barn in France(600m2 on 2 floor)) , which we have renovated 140m2 of it.

We would like to make some new openings for doors and windows to the second leg of the renovation.

as we have more than 40 railways sleepers , could we use them to make the doors ect... openings ?

regards

Claude Eyles

Answer
Hi Claude,

I don't have any experience of working in France, so cannot advise on whether their regulations would allow you to use railway sleepers as lintels. However structurally there is no reason why you can't use railway sleepers. Hope this helps.

Martin

Architecture

Martin Owen