Architecture/Regarding Roof Top heat

Dear Mr.Richard,

Good day to you.

I am leaving in Bangladesh. The house I live in its 4th floor(Top floor). During summer the roof is getting very hot and inside room its very difficult to stay. AC consume too much power and my electric bill comes very high.

Our building is built in brick structure. Roof is also built by brick and yet not finished very well.

please advice me how can I finished my roof in low cost that I can fight with sun radiation.

with best regards

You need to apply rigid insulation with a thickness that is tapered to direct water into roof drains.  And that thickness should range between 12 and 24 centimeters.  Again the various thickness should direct water off the roof through scuppers or roof drains.  Then cover the insulation with a light colored rubber membrane.  We use either tan or white.  Ensure that the system is held into place with either mechanical connections or adhesive.  You might also want to consider a ballasted system while covering the roof system with small river rock - approximately 5 centimeters in depth.  But you will need to consult with an engineer to verify the existing structural capacity of the roof.

Good luck!

Richard Burton, AIA
Registered Architect
ICC Certified Plan Reviewer

Richard Burton AIA

A combined total of 25 years experience with construction, architecture, and building code enforcement. Ask me about residential and commercial design. Ask me about design aesthetics, structural methods, and building something that will withstand severe weather conditions. Ask me my opinion about YOUR design ideas and I will tell you the merits of good design and challenge your thinking about practical issues. Ask me how to best find and work with your local architect and approach general contractors to get the most value for the least amount of headaches. You can ask me about improving your energy efficiency and things that are both green and practical. But don't ask me about solar panels and wind turbines unless you are currently paying your utility company 35 cents per Kilowatt. Otherwise the math does not justify the initial cost and return on investment. Ask me any building code question and how to get a building permit from the most difficult enforcement agencies.

Here in the midwest, we design and build "green" in ways that make sense. My construction methods prioritize weather resistance, ease of maintenance and durability. While a graduate student in San Diego, I taught drafting and history of architecture. After working ten years for other architecture firms, I have started my firm Arrow Architecture in 2008. More than half of my work involves commercial office buildings. But my portfolio of work also includes custom homes, residential additions, home remodels, and second story additions.

President-Elect of American Institute of Architects - Lincoln, NE

B.S. Architecture - (Interior Design) University of Nebraska Lincoln 1997 Master of Architecture - (Urban Design and Professional Practice) NewSchool of Architecture - San Diego 2004 Graduated Summa Cum Laude ICC Certified Building Plans Examiner

AIA Henry Adams Medal and Certificate