Architecture/Structural integrity when cutting out holes

Question
Hi Richard,

I am placing in three high efficiency furnaces in the basement of my three family structure, which require exhaust and intake pvc piping of 3" and 4" out of the side of the house.  So in all, there will be 6 holes through the side of the house in those sizes.  I am concerned about the structural integrity of the house when cutting all these holes.  The holes will be cut out of the the header joist (as I believe it's called as the joists connect to it).  Please let me know if my concerns should exist, what I should ensure, and if there is any other things you think would be good to recommend or share.

Thanks,
Thomas

Answer
Basement Rim Board
Basement Rim Board  
Thomas,

Although I do not have the IRC residential code right in front of me, I believe that you are limited to cutting away one third of the exterior rim board or floor joist.
But I believe that if you begin by cutting 2 x 4 blocking to lengths that can be friction fit adjacent to the new holes, then that should allow us a little leeway knowing that the vertical compression is now distributed around the sides of the hole.
These new holes should not be located above a window or door opening and the holes should be limited to one hole between each joist space.

See attached illustration.

Good luck

Richard Burton, AIA

Disclaimer:
I am not a licensed architect or structural engineer in the State of Michigan.  It is the responsibility of the home owner to adhere to all State and local building codes.

Architecture

Richard Burton AIA