Architecture/Drain design

Good day
Recently read that some of the drains constructed in the british colonial era has lasted longer than present day drains constructed in the last few decades.
Can you provide me with some insights as to what made the colonial drains construction outpace the present day drains.
In general what construction processes and designs may have accounted for that and what factors are common among construction projects that have lasted for more than 100+ years outpacing present day designs that last only a few decades.

The drains built 100+ years ago were bigger and constructed of thick clay pipes compared to today's smaller steel pipes which are prone to corrosion.

In places where labor is cheaper than in first-world countries, people take time to do things with the thinking "this is going to last forever".  But today we are building things while looking at the bottom line.  With labor costing more than the building materials, we try to construct everything as quickly as possible.  Add to that the fact that in our country, we no longer value the blue collar worker and teach our kids that if you want to succeed then you need to find a desk job.  The results is that "tricks of the trade" are diminishing with each new generation.  The knowledge and pride associated with craftmanship has been replaced with manufactured parts and pieces - very little assembly required.

Richard Burton AIA

A combined total of 25 years experience with construction, architecture, and building code enforcement. Ask me about residential and commercial design. Ask me about design aesthetics, structural methods, and building something that will withstand severe weather conditions. Ask me my opinion about YOUR design ideas and I will tell you the merits of good design and challenge your thinking about practical issues. Ask me how to best find and work with your local architect and approach general contractors to get the most value for the least amount of headaches. You can ask me about improving your energy efficiency and things that are both green and practical. But don't ask me about solar panels and wind turbines unless you are currently paying your utility company 35 cents per Kilowatt. Otherwise the math does not justify the initial cost and return on investment. Ask me any building code question and how to get a building permit from the most difficult enforcement agencies.

Here in the midwest, we design and build "green" in ways that make sense. My construction methods prioritize weather resistance, ease of maintenance and durability. While a graduate student in San Diego, I taught drafting and history of architecture. After working ten years for other architecture firms, I have started my firm Arrow Architecture in 2008. More than half of my work involves commercial office buildings. But my portfolio of work also includes custom homes, residential additions, home remodels, and second story additions.

President-Elect of American Institute of Architects - Lincoln, NE

B.S. Architecture - (Interior Design) University of Nebraska Lincoln 1997 Master of Architecture - (Urban Design and Professional Practice) NewSchool of Architecture - San Diego 2004 Graduated Summa Cum Laude ICC Certified Building Plans Examiner

AIA Henry Adams Medal and Certificate