Architecture/British Architecture

Question
What can you tell me about British architecture, particularly about Gothic Victorian architecture and the names or terms used in the parts that identify it? I've always been intrigued by it and describe Victorian structures in my short stories but I really don't have enough knowledge about what to call the separate parts of it.

Answer
There is no one style that can be defined as British. To describe British architecture would take far more than I could write here. Gothic and Victorian are completely different periods. Gothic architecture dates from the 12th to 16th century, whereas the Victorian period was between 18-1900.

For some common features found in gothic buildings are arched openings, niches, oriels and spires. Often people think of gothic as being very dark, but it is in fact the opposite. Gothis is all about bring light into the space. The buildings are usually elegant and ornately detailed. There are lots of great examples of Gothic cathedrals around the UK. Just do a quick Google image search.

Architecture

Martin Owen