Architecture/Solar Penals

Good Day
What are the calculations or drawings an architect have to provide for proposing a solar panel for a house ?
Mahreen Junaid

Hi Mahreen,
The drawings required vary greatly on the local legislation in place. I know in many parts of Europe as well as in Australia, placing panels flat on the roof of a domestic house is normally exempt from planning requirements and is normally shown only as a "proposed location" level of detail with a hatched box. Exceptions to this rule can include listed historical buildings, cyclone prone areas and panels on tilt frames.

Most of the requirements for solar panels are driven by the electrical installer's responsibilities rather than the architect's and I would advise that you or your architect discuss it with them directly. Here in Australia there is a Clean Energy Council that has legislative power that sets the requirements for all people involved in installing solar panels. There may be a similar body in Pakistan and I would advise that you contact them for the requirements in your area.

I hope this helps

Brendan Cotter

Domestic extensions, planning permissions, house renovations, using solar power, renovation, adding value to a property, getting a house that the client wants

Im a graduate architect, with a Bachelor of Architecture from DIT, Ireland. I have a number of years of experience as both a design architect and a site architect, and have brought domestic projects through from initial client meetings through planning to construction and to completion and handover

Bachelor of Architecture, Dublin Institute of Technology, Dublin, Ireland