Architecture/Escalator Limitations.

Question
Dear Richard

Are there Escalator Limitations regarding it is not recommended above a certain height for Security reasons?.

Thanks
Prashant

Answer
Prashant,

Escalators are typically restricted to only two stories per Chapter 7 of the IBC (Fire and Smoke Protection) unless the vertical penetrations through three or more stories are treated as an atrium space with a smoke evacuation system.  The same would be true for any multi-level stair.

The issue of security would be more dependent on the type of occupancy.  There are no prescriptive security measures for escalators that I am aware of.  Where security is an issue, it is best to spend more than an hour trying to think like a deviant person and then another hour pretending that you are liable for any mischief caused by your deviant person.  I can not imagine that you would need an escalator for a jail, daycare center, or memory care facility.  Places where people are detained and restricted from leaving the building do not normally have escalators.  

What type of occupancy or use do you have in mind for this escalator?

Richard Burton, AIA
Registered Architect
ICC Certified Plan Reviewer
NFPA Certified Fire Plan Examiner

Architecture

Richard Burton AIA