Architecture/Floor Height/Dimensions

Is there a standard for all buildings on how far the floor should be from the ceiling? I'm working on a short story about an eccentric heiress whose penthouse includes a foyer with a giant statue sitting at floor level with it's arms on two staircases like the arms of a chair, but I can't figure out if this would mean a ceiling two stories high or three stories high or if a ceiling that high would require additional supports to keep higher floors from crashing in on itself. How much height should I be allowing for each staircase? In your opinion, is this an architectural possibility or should I be consulting an anatomist?

Sounds like an interesting story!
Starter homes are about 8-9 ft. floor to ceiling.
Luxury homes we design have 14 ft. at the first floor and 12 ft. second.
In between is a floor truss of about 2 feet.
So in a Foyer that is two story you will have 28 feet floor to ceiling which should accommodate your statue.
The famous historic Palladian villas in Italy are 24-35 feet in height.
Here is a link to my web that describes historic mansions, castles and villas:
If you have any other questions please let me respond.

John Henry Architect

I am interested in the artistic and theoretical aspects of architecture and urban design/planning. I can discuss the progression of classical to modern architecture, the general stylistic and technical development, the formation of towns and cities, the background and training of architects. Ask any question relating to the profession, working with an architect, background information, etc.

Custom Luxury Residential design is my specialty. We also have a variety of commercial projects: Hospitality, Resort/Themed Communities, Urban Design, Medical and Office buildings. We accept very few remodeling projects. Residential Design Commercial Architecture

Wall Street Journal, Builder Magazine, Professional Builder, Florida Home Builder, Sun Coast Architect, Southeast Home Builder, Orlando Sentinel, Florida Design, Naples Daily, Luxury Homes, Custom Builder, Orlando Magazine

Bachelor, Environmental Design, Texas A&M University Master, Architecture, Texas A&M University

Regional Awards: Central Florida Parade of Homes, Street of Dreams Golden Aurora

Business/Service Professionals, Sports Celebrities, Saudi Royalty, International developers, Medical Doctors