Architecture/Animation college

how is career in animation?

Just two months ago, an animation business located next to my architecture went bankrupt.  The problem with that business is that many clients are either not paying their animators and/or the individual businesses are figuring out how to task animation to someone who normally does graphic design and marketing.  I have also noticed that many animations are being sourced out to China and India where the skill levels are high but the cost of labor is very low.

I spent my first six years in the architectural office creating photo-realistic renderings and animations.  My clients loved to see those but never once did they want to pay for them.  We had to provide those free of charge as a tool for design development.  Otherwise our client might be disappointed to understand what our 2 dimensional drawings represent only after the building is built.  It is always better to help our clients visualize what the end product will be as we develop the construction drawings.  Building owners expect too much and do not care about the time required to create animations.  They are convinced that the software makes our job easy.  It is impossible to convince them otherwise.

To answer your question, your chances of establishing a good animation career in China and India are much better than here in the United States.

Good luck

Richard Burton, AIA
Registered Architect
ICC Certified Plan Reviewer
NFPA Certified Fire Plan Examiner

Richard Burton AIA

A combined total of 25 years experience with construction, architecture, and building code enforcement. Ask me about residential and commercial design. Ask me about design aesthetics, structural methods, and building something that will withstand severe weather conditions. Ask me my opinion about YOUR design ideas and I will tell you the merits of good design and challenge your thinking about practical issues. Ask me how to best find and work with your local architect and approach general contractors to get the most value for the least amount of headaches. You can ask me about improving your energy efficiency and things that are both green and practical. But don't ask me about solar panels and wind turbines unless you are currently paying your utility company 35 cents per Kilowatt. Otherwise the math does not justify the initial cost and return on investment. Ask me any building code question and how to get a building permit from the most difficult enforcement agencies.

Here in the midwest, we design and build "green" in ways that make sense. My construction methods prioritize weather resistance, ease of maintenance and durability. While a graduate student in San Diego, I taught drafting and history of architecture. After working ten years for other architecture firms, I have started my firm Arrow Architecture in 2008. More than half of my work involves commercial office buildings. But my portfolio of work also includes custom homes, residential additions, home remodels, and second story additions.

President-Elect of American Institute of Architects - Lincoln, NE

B.S. Architecture - (Interior Design) University of Nebraska Lincoln 1997 Master of Architecture - (Urban Design and Professional Practice) NewSchool of Architecture - San Diego 2004 Graduated Summa Cum Laude ICC Certified Building Plans Examiner

AIA Henry Adams Medal and Certificate