Architecture/Concert Hall Architecture Design for playing Orchestra.

Dear Richard

Do you feel Concert Hall Architecture Design could be challenging for the architect from acoustics point of view?

That all depends on what type of architect you are asking about.  For the best acoustic quality, the basic shape should resemble a megaphone or fan with a rounded ceiling.  The walls and ceilings should absorb sound rather than deflect it.  Some architects are brave enough to take on this acoustical challenge while most architects will employ the services of an acoustical engineer.  In the past, I have designed many movie theaters and I ensured that the walls were slanted and angled to limit the reverberation.  We do not want sound waves bouncing continuously back and forth.  Therefore the walls were tilted in a way that forced the sound down towards the audience where clothing and cushioned seats can absorb the sound.  Regardless of the overall size of the concert hall, the geometry is of primary importance and the surface materials must be carefully selected.

Here is an article worth reading:

I hope that helps.

Richard Burton, AIA
Registered Architect
ICC Certified Plan Reviewer
NFPA Certified Fire Plan Examiner

Richard Burton AIA

A combined total of 25 years experience with construction, architecture, and building code enforcement. Ask me about residential and commercial design. Ask me about design aesthetics, structural methods, and building something that will withstand severe weather conditions. Ask me my opinion about YOUR design ideas and I will tell you the merits of good design and challenge your thinking about practical issues. Ask me how to best find and work with your local architect and approach general contractors to get the most value for the least amount of headaches. You can ask me about improving your energy efficiency and things that are both green and practical. But don't ask me about solar panels and wind turbines unless you are currently paying your utility company 35 cents per Kilowatt. Otherwise the math does not justify the initial cost and return on investment. Ask me any building code question and how to get a building permit from the most difficult enforcement agencies.

Here in the midwest, we design and build "green" in ways that make sense. My construction methods prioritize weather resistance, ease of maintenance and durability. While a graduate student in San Diego, I taught drafting and history of architecture. After working ten years for other architecture firms, I have started my firm Arrow Architecture in 2008. More than half of my work involves commercial office buildings. But my portfolio of work also includes custom homes, residential additions, home remodels, and second story additions.

President-Elect of American Institute of Architects - Lincoln, NE

B.S. Architecture - (Interior Design) University of Nebraska Lincoln 1997 Master of Architecture - (Urban Design and Professional Practice) NewSchool of Architecture - San Diego 2004 Graduated Summa Cum Laude ICC Certified Building Plans Examiner

AIA Henry Adams Medal and Certificate