Architecture/draftstopping

Question
I am designing a house with a storage room over a garage. we submitted the plans to the Building department, and we receive comment about "Draftstopping". where do I need draftstopping? the garage walls are 8" masonry block and the roof over garage is gable with 10:12 pitch that creates the storage space.

Thanks.

Answer
Carlos,

Most likely the draftstop needs to be located above and in line with the fire-rated wall that separates the habitable living areas from the garage (and attic storage).

The construction type of the walls is irrelevant.

The pitch of the roof is irrelevant.

Gable versus hip roof is irrelevant.

The fact that you will have storage located over the garage is irrelevant.

If you could e-mail to me the lower level and upper level floor plans along with a building section, then I could give you a better answer.

Is the attic space above the garage more than 3,000 S.F.?  Unlikely.

rich@arrow-architecture.com

Architecture

Richard Burton AIA