Architecture/Skywalk Gates Design.

Question
Dear Richard

Do you feel there will be advantages in implementing Opening and Closing Gates with locks for a skywalk from security point of view?

Thanks
Prashant

Answer
Prashant.

Yes, there will be advantages after implementing Opening and Closing Gates with locks for a skywalk from a security point of view.  But both buildings on either side of the skywalk must exit independently of the skywalk.  The skywalk is used for convenience only.  And the door hardware must be operable from the egress side without the use of key or special knowledge.  In other words, we can not create a situation where someone gets trapped inside the skywalk after the door locks behind them.

In my city, we have a skywalk system that I enjoy every day.  It continues to grow a little every year.  Each skywalk connection is unlike any other.  And the rules noted above are applied in different ways which afford both security and emergency exit.

I hope that helps.

Richard Burton, AIA
Registered Architect
ICC Certified Plan Reviewer
NFPA Certified Fire Plan Examiner
www.arrow-architecture.com

Architecture

Richard Burton AIA