Aromatherapy/Sinus headaches

I've noticed that I've been suffering from weekly sinus headaches since moving to a new apartment last year. in our last apartment, i didnt suffer from these sinus headaches. we have a cat but she didnt really bother my sinuses (and i dont have allergies) but this new apt has high heat (the landlord controls the heat; we cant) and opening the windows leads to a mixture of cold air and high heat in our apt. is the extreme heat the cause? is there a way to remedy these headaches?

Hello Lissette . Thanks for your question. It does sound as if the heating situation is contributing to your headaches and sinus problems. The extreme heat will be dehydrating, which in itself can cause headaches. I imagine just feeling uncomfortable can lead to stress, which also won't help. I would certainly ask your landlord to turn things down a degree or two - it must be expensive to have the heat up so high.
You could make up a mixture of oils, diluted in alcohol or a vegetable oil or cream, to apply to your temples. You could also burn the oils in a steamer/ vaporiser in the apartment, as the inhalation of the oils in the steam would help to clear your head as well.The added moisture in the air will also be beneficial. A word of caution. Don't underestimate the strength of the oils - only use the small dosage that I have recommended. They are very concentrated and to use any more would not only be a waste but would possibly add to your headaches.Less is definitely more.

Here's what I would recommend:

For the burner/ vaporiser (nightlight candle under hot water)
Two drops each of Lavender, Peppermint and a citrus oil such as Lemon or Lime
2 drops Lavender, 1 drop each of Rosemary and Peppermint oil.

For a cream or diluted oil to apply to temples and pulse points:

2 drops Lavender, 1 only of Rosemary and 1 only of Peppermint, plus 1 of a citrus oil if you like.
For a 30ml bottle made up in adavance -
10 Drops Lavender, 4 each of Rosemary and Peppermint, plus 4 drops citrus if you like.

I think you will need to raise your liquid intake to counter act the dehydration. Drink plenty of water and fruit juices. I hope you manage to solve the problem Lissette.
Kind regards and Happy New Year

Judy Frayne

I specialise in the mixing of oils. Every problem has a different solution depending on the underlying causes.A simple headache could be caused for a number of different reasons. Tracking down the origins of a problem is the first step. I can then advise on the correct oils to use,how to buy them and the methods with which they can be applied. I can also recommend other complimentary techniques for self help with many physical and emotional problems. Feel free to ask about: Skin disorders - eczema, psoriasis,atheletes foot Muscular aches and pains - arthritis, neck and shoulder tension. Painkilling - headaches, chronic pain, backache. Digestive disorders - IBS, constipation. Stress - depression, anxiety, grief, anger, concentration. Medicine cupboard - bites, stings, cuts, bruises,burns. Babies and childrens - tummy aches, colds, sleep problems. And many more !

I have been a qualified aromatherapist for twelve years, working in my own premises as well as mobile visiting. My clients have been varied - ranging from babies to the elderly and sadly,the terminally ill. Whilst many clients simply wish to use aromatherapy to promote a feeling of well being and keep themselves relaxed and healthy - I have had much experience of clients with specific needs. These are just as wide ranging - from skin disorders to back problems on the physical side - to the emotional and spiritual side of things and problems such as coping with grief and bereavement or helping combat anger and stress. I use a mixture of techniques including reflexology. I believe that aromatherapy is a very simple and natural method of self help that can compliment conventional techniques. I am passionate about passing on safe and sensible advice so that more people feel confident to try aromatherapy for themselves. Aromatherapy is not always a cure - but it's potency should never be underestimated. It can help, it can be life changing - and it's certainly worth trying