Aromatherapy/Aromatherapy for anxiety

I would like to know if there is effective essential oils for reducing anxiety levels. Specifically if a person suffers from general anxiety, and perhaps a preventative of panic attacks, or maybe something that would help during a panic attack.

Hello Mark.Apologies for the late answer to your question - I have been away from the computer for a few days.
There are so many oils that help with anxiety I could give you a very long list of formulae that relax, calm and sooth. So I have grouped the oils into different categories.
For deep, sedative calming :
Benzoin - wraps you up in cotton wool - helps with sleep
Violet leaf - deeply relaxing
Vetiver - helps with sleep
Roman Cammomile - soothing and calming but very gentle on the systems of the body
Lavender - soothing cooling and calming, muscle relaxing
Sweet marjoram - encourages regulation, calming and sedative, muscle relaxing
Sandalwood - grounding and  masculine.

For gentle relaxation and soothing:
Ylang Ylang - beautifully calming and good for frustration
Lavender - as above
Clary Sage - euphoric and relaxing
Frankincense - calming and relaxing and euphoric
Geranium - for balance of the emotions.
Rose - fabulous for relaxation , think of Mother Love, a female hug !
Jasmine - relaxing, but warming and assertive - a touch of masculine strength.
Patchouli - anti depressant

Good for "letting things go"
Grapefruit, Lemon, Tangerine, Manadarin, Bergamot

So - what to choose ? I would look at how the oils are to be used. Applying the oils to the skin via a relaxing bath for instance, should be very effective as the heat from the bath combined with the oils enables the muscles to relax and the oils to get into the pores.
Massage is another way of applying the oils - again really effective as the physical contact is comforting in itself, and one has to relax during a gentle aromatherapy massage.
In either of these cases I would recommend trying up to three oils in combination. I would always choose Lavender - unless you hate Lavender of course, as some people do. Find out what aromas are preferred. We are generally attracted to what is good for us. Think about whether florals are preferred to herbal aromas etc. Think also about whether a deep sedative effect is required - maybe to help with sleep at night, or whether it is necessary still to focus on work. Some oils will be too sedative for that. So I would choose another two oils to go with the lavender.
These are some excellent combinations - think of them as teams of people with particular characteristics. Put the team together....

One of the most lovely combinations I have ever known is Rose, Lavender and Tangerine. This is not deeply sedative but has the most wonderful effect on the senses.

Deeper are Sweet Marjoram, Clary Sage and Lavender - a very sleepy combination.

Ylang Ylang, Frankincense and Grapefruit - would be lighter and uplifting.

In a single application, for a bath or massage you could use two or three drops each of the oils in combination, diluted in some vegetable bath foam, oil or lotion.
You can make up a larger amount in bottles to be used as and when. In that case say a 50ml bottle would have six to ten drops each of your oils, mixed into the base oil.

If you simply want to inhale the oils via a vapouriser you need to drop no more than a couple of each of the oils into hot water in the vapouriser and let them fill the room. They will also have a calming effect but it won't be as long lasting as having oils applied physically.  It would be great to use all three methods with the oils, giving total coverage.

For anxiety I would use the oils often, and I would vary the oils used, so the body doesn't get used them too quickly. I find that people become quite used to having the oils in their lives as they are strengthening, and they are also enabling in that they somehow allow one to let things go and focus the mind more. Oils in the burner will have a quicker effect, oils on the body take up to six hours to fully reach the systems of the body. So using them often would probably be preventative. One would need to experiment.

I hope this helps. I can mix up bottles for clients, so if you feel a little daunted I am always happy to supply mixes and then you can repeat the formulae yourself once you have tried them.

Good luck and very best wishes

Judy Frayne

I specialise in the mixing of oils. Every problem has a different solution depending on the underlying causes.A simple headache could be caused for a number of different reasons. Tracking down the origins of a problem is the first step. I can then advise on the correct oils to use,how to buy them and the methods with which they can be applied. I can also recommend other complimentary techniques for self help with many physical and emotional problems. Feel free to ask about: Skin disorders - eczema, psoriasis,atheletes foot Muscular aches and pains - arthritis, neck and shoulder tension. Painkilling - headaches, chronic pain, backache. Digestive disorders - IBS, constipation. Stress - depression, anxiety, grief, anger, concentration. Medicine cupboard - bites, stings, cuts, bruises,burns. Babies and childrens - tummy aches, colds, sleep problems. And many more !

I have been a qualified aromatherapist for twelve years, working in my own premises as well as mobile visiting. My clients have been varied - ranging from babies to the elderly and sadly,the terminally ill. Whilst many clients simply wish to use aromatherapy to promote a feeling of well being and keep themselves relaxed and healthy - I have had much experience of clients with specific needs. These are just as wide ranging - from skin disorders to back problems on the physical side - to the emotional and spiritual side of things and problems such as coping with grief and bereavement or helping combat anger and stress. I use a mixture of techniques including reflexology. I believe that aromatherapy is a very simple and natural method of self help that can compliment conventional techniques. I am passionate about passing on safe and sensible advice so that more people feel confident to try aromatherapy for themselves. Aromatherapy is not always a cure - but it's potency should never be underestimated. It can help, it can be life changing - and it's certainly worth trying