Aromatherapy/for alertness

would you recommend basil as a good stimulant after other factors such as enough sleep etc. for people who drive for a living?also any other infoo or oils would begreat looking for alternative to things like coffee red bull five hour energy etc.?

Hello Nelson
I am copying an answer to a similar question I was asked about using car air fresheners to keep alert while driving.I hope this helps - it's got to be better than the taste of Red Bull !

I would choose a citrus oil as a starter and use two or three drops at a time. Grapefruit or Lime are lovely and refreshing.Tangerine and Lemon are also good.  They don't stay around for long though as they evaporate very quickly, so I would use another oil in conjunction with the citrus.
Peppermint is a very stimulating oil - you will only need one or a maximum of two drops at a time, but it's great with citrus.
If you like herbal scents - try rosemary or basil oils which are renowned for stimulating the senses.Again just a couple of drops at a time.

Don't go for Lavender, Sandalwood or Cammomile for driving as they are too sedative.

One word of warning - you can think that the oils don't give off a powerful scent, so don't be tempted to use more oil at time. The oils are quite potent and shouldn't underestimated. Once you leave the car and then come back to it you will realise just how strong the oils are. I just put my oils in the car to go to treatments and people always comment on the lovely smell, even though I have removed the oils, they can still smell them. Also too much might give you a headache. It's a lovely idea though and very uplifting after a long shift at work. Don't buy synthetic and make sure they are 100% and not diluted aromatherapy oils.
Kind regards

Judy Frayne

I specialise in the mixing of oils. Every problem has a different solution depending on the underlying causes.A simple headache could be caused for a number of different reasons. Tracking down the origins of a problem is the first step. I can then advise on the correct oils to use,how to buy them and the methods with which they can be applied. I can also recommend other complimentary techniques for self help with many physical and emotional problems. Feel free to ask about: Skin disorders - eczema, psoriasis,atheletes foot Muscular aches and pains - arthritis, neck and shoulder tension. Painkilling - headaches, chronic pain, backache. Digestive disorders - IBS, constipation. Stress - depression, anxiety, grief, anger, concentration. Medicine cupboard - bites, stings, cuts, bruises,burns. Babies and childrens - tummy aches, colds, sleep problems. And many more !

I have been a qualified aromatherapist for twelve years, working in my own premises as well as mobile visiting. My clients have been varied - ranging from babies to the elderly and sadly,the terminally ill. Whilst many clients simply wish to use aromatherapy to promote a feeling of well being and keep themselves relaxed and healthy - I have had much experience of clients with specific needs. These are just as wide ranging - from skin disorders to back problems on the physical side - to the emotional and spiritual side of things and problems such as coping with grief and bereavement or helping combat anger and stress. I use a mixture of techniques including reflexology. I believe that aromatherapy is a very simple and natural method of self help that can compliment conventional techniques. I am passionate about passing on safe and sensible advice so that more people feel confident to try aromatherapy for themselves. Aromatherapy is not always a cure - but it's potency should never be underestimated. It can help, it can be life changing - and it's certainly worth trying