Art History/Questions

SubjectDate AskedExpert
Humanites10/26/2009S. Molina
  Q: How was humanism reflected in Renaissance thought and art?
  A: I do want to apologize for giving you such a late response to your answer. Let me start by ...
title of a painting7/14/2009S. Molina
  Q: what is the title of a painting of a man crying uncontrollably, clinging to the dead body of his ...
  A: Well, this is going to be hard to pinpoint without anymore specific information. I'm guessing it ...
Humanism6/25/2009S. Molina
  Q: What is humanism and how was it reflected in Greek culture and art?
  A: Humanism is a broad category of ethical philosophies that affirm the dignity and worth of all ...
History of art as progress or change?6/12/2009S. Molina
  Q: Is the history of art essentially one of 'progress'or 'change'?
  A: This is a matter of opinion as far as I'm concerned, so I'll give you my opinion. Progress or ...
original paintings of Picasso6/9/2009S. Molina
  Q: I would like to know the sizes of the original paintings: 1.Horta de Ebbo 2.Picasso's son as ...
  A: 1. The painting is 65x81 cm if you are talking about Houses on the Hill, Horta de Ebro. 2. From ...
name of a painter6/26/2008Jeni Andrews-Fraser
  Q: I forgot the name of a painter. His origin is some country in the east Europe, I think. I know he ...
  A: I can't help you based on this information. You'll have to be a little more specific - a time frame ...
Alcazar Castle5/13/2008Jeni Andrews-Fraser
  Q: I have a powere point due in 10 minutes and I need to know why was alcazar Castle built??
  A: Preparation is the key to everything - so how did your Presentation go? (I regret, experts are not ...
expert on Georgia O'Keeffe5/12/2008Jeni Andrews-Fraser
  Q: I am looking for an expert on Georgia O'Keefe that may be able to tell me if I have one of her oil ...
  A: You need to take your painting to a fine art dealer - one specialising in 20th century American ...
Byzantine Art?5/4/2008Jeni Andrews-Fraser
  Q: I saw this question on tv the other day and wanted to know if you could answer it for me. The ...
  A: What a shame your TV programme didn't answer the question it posed! To answer it in full I'd be ...
Jacob Jordaens Holy Family5/1/2008Jeni Andrews-Fraser
  Q: I'm looking to find out more about the painting, Holy Family by Jacob Jordaens, Flemish 1614-17. ...
  A: Jacob Jordaens, was born in Antwerp and specialized in genre and banquet scenes, and religious ...
unknown artist4/29/2008Jeni Andrews-Fraser
  Q: in the early 1970's my family lived in Hong Kong and my mother purchased an oil painting by S Tsui ...
  A: My expertise is in the history of Western art/architecture, so I am no authority on 'Oriental' art, ...
German Painter4/25/2008Jeni Andrews-Fraser
  Q: Can you give me any information on the painter named A. Huuer Warth?
  A: No, I am sorry, I don't have any information on your painter. I have never heard of him (her?) and ...
unknown artist4/25/2008Jeni Andrews-Fraser
  Q: A family member has a beautiful pen & ink original,60cm x30cmm of what we think is Notre Dame ...
  A: Regretably, I am unable to help. I have never heard of an artist by the name of Richard D Winter ...
Ming Dynasty?4/21/2008Jeni Andrews-Fraser
  Q: I wanted to know if you know anything about the visual arts such as painting, ceramics, sculpture, ...
  A: My expertise is in Western art (so doesn't cover the Ming Dynasty - although, as an art historian, I ...
Italian Sculptor4/20/2008Jeni Andrews-Fraser
  Q: Looking for a bio or info on Prof G. Besfi. I saw a piece tiltled Mignon, a young woman seeming to ...
  A: I must admit, I have never heard of your 'Prof. G. Besfi' - but found an auction of one of his ...
Unknown Painter4/12/2008Jeni Andrews-Fraser
  Q: I have aquired a painting by Gaspar Giraroux. It is an oil and appears to be fairly old, including ...
  A: I'm sorry but I have never heard of an artist by this name. You didn't mention the style of ...
Art History4/8/2008Jeni Andrews-Fraser
  Q: I need help on comparing too sculptures Donatello David 1446-60 and Antonio Pollaiuolo. Hercules and ...
  A: What are you comparing? Materials, techniques, subject matter .. and for what purpose? Your ...
Corot4/3/2008Jeni Andrews-Fraser
  Q: I have a oil/canvas copy of Corot's "Ville d' Avray" that was purchased at an antique shop. It is ...
  A: Corot's work has always been popular ... a member of the Barbizon School of painting. The Barbizon ...
Painting by FM Bennett #10204/1/2008Jeni Andrews-Fraser
  Q: I was recently given this painting and the frame. But I know nothing about it, the artist, or the ...
  A: Helo Walter - and thank you for your question. I*'m afraid I don't undertake valuations - for this ...
otto dix + the seven deadly sins4/1/2008Jeni Andrews-Fraser
  Q: Apart from hitler, did otto dix base the other six deadly sins on real people, and if so who?
  A: The short answer is 'probably' - since Dix reacted to the world around him and what he witnessed. ...
Utrillo Lithograph3/27/2008Jeni Andrews-Fraser
  Q: I found a wonderful framed piece of work for just 14.00 at a local thrift store that I think may ...
  A: For authentication of your litho, you need to take it to a local fine art dealer. He or she will be ...
F.M Bennett painting3/25/2008Jeni Andrews-Fraser
  Q: I have an old F.M Bennett painting (shape is a bit rough) that was in an old building on the main ...
  A: I'm afraid I don't (and cannot, over the internet) undertake valuations for artwork. You need to ...
oil painting schooner ships '' JOSEPH ''3/23/2008Jeni Andrews-Fraser
  Q: I have an old canvas oil painting purchased at yard sale years ago. Measures 4-1/2' long and ...
  A: Without seeing the painting, I haven't any chance in helping you to identify it - so please, do send ...
sheep in barn paintings3/22/2008Jeni Andrews-Fraser
  Q: have this oil painting from my great grandfather , i dont know any information about it , the ...
  A: It's quite difficult to 'read' anything from the images you sent (although I do appreciate you ...
St. John's Wood School of Art3/20/2008Jeni Andrews-Fraser
  Q: I am interested in obtaining records or artwork of AA Calderon, who was a Peruvian and principal of ...
  A: I did a little research on the St John's Wood School (later Leigh and Hatherley's) to find your ...
18th century wood carvings3/20/2008Jeni Andrews-Fraser
  Q: I have been waiting for your return. I have been looking far and wide to find the history or ...
  A: ) The recurring image in your panels is that of a Green Man (the small face with leaves sprouting ...
Alcazar Castle2/28/2008Jeni Andrews-Fraser
  Q: What were the materials used in the construction of the Alcazar Castle in Segovia, Spain?
  A: Follow this link for more information and views: ...
painting2/26/2008Jeni Andrews-Fraser
  Q: I have old painting signed John A Lomax. title is "for he had spoken lightly of a woman's name" ...
  A: John Arthur Lomax (1857 - 1923) was a Manchester born genre painter. He studied painting in ...
Jean-Baptiste Corot print2/21/2008Jeni Andrews-Fraser
  Q: I have what I believe is a print of "Dances of the Nymphs" by Jean-Baptiste Camille Corot. It ...
  A: I think your best bet is to take your print to a local fine art dealer - he (or she) will be able to ...
J.T.Cooke2/18/2008Jeni Andrews-Fraser
  Q: I have two paintings by this artist,dated 1892.They are landscapes,oil.I would like to know more ...
  A: I'm afraid I won't be able to help you as I have never heard of J.T. Cooke - (nor can I find him/her ...
statues2/14/2008Jeni Andrews-Fraser
  Q: Trying to do a paper. Need to know term for a human statue when the arm is away from the body(the ...
  A: I think what you are grasping for is the term 'contrapposto'. Originally a pose devised by the ...
f.m bennett2/7/2008Jeni Andrews-Fraser
  Q: ive just found a painting framed in brass,it could have been a fire screen in the past .the painting ...
  A: I sugget you take your fire screen to a local fine art dealer for authentication. I can't say ...
oil paintig1/18/2008Jeni Andrews-Fraser
  Q: i have a piture in my possesion it is a portrait of a lady dims are as follows 221/2/18inches it is ...
  A: If you did, indeed, have an original oil painting of Lady Hamilton by George Romney, you would be a ...
James Meadows1/16/2008Jeni Andrews-Fraser
  Q: I have a painting that was represented to me as a James Edwin Meadows painting. It is titled ...
  A: It's highly likely - and hardly unusual - for an artist to sign a painting with his first and last ...
Art History ?1/15/2008Jeni Andrews-Fraser
  Q: I have an oil on canvas about 55 inches long and 31 inches wide signed Henry Jacobs I cannot seem to ...
  A: I am sorry, I am not going to be much use. I've never heard of Henry Jacobs nor do I know of any of ...
"Near Brading" by James Edwin Meadows1/11/2008Jeni Andrews-Fraser
  Q: I recently bought a painting at an estate auction. It is titled "Near Brading" by James E. Meadows. ...
  A: ) James Edwin Meadows was a London landscape painter, the son of well known artist, James Meadows ...
the chinese girl1/8/2008Jeni Andrews-Fraser
  Q: I have a large print of a trechikoff pinting called the chinese girl I was wondering how much it may ...
  A: This 1950s print is one of the most popular (especially in the 1960s when it graced almost every ...
F massa1/8/2008Jeni Andrews-Fraser
  Q: I have a pitcher of two county houses.with and old west style fence,snow all over the ground and ...
  A: Unfortunately, I am not able to help you. I have never heard of F. Massa and a cursory internet ...
HEALTH TO THE BRIDE, OIL ON CANVAS, BY F.M.Bennett1/5/2008Jeni Andrews-Fraser
  Q: I have this old painting purchased at auction years ago, titled origionally with tacking nails, also ...
  A: I have no idea if your painting is an original - nor do I undertake valuations. For answers to both ...
Henry Jacobs, Artist1/2/2008Jeni Andrews-Fraser
  Q: On my maternal great-grandmother's marriage certificate of 1887 she states her father to be Henry ...
  A: Georgie - I've received the following e-mail .. perhaps it might be of interest to you ...? "You ...

Page:    1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6   |  Next       All

Art History