Art/Technology/Questions

SubjectDate AskedExpert
oil on canvas preservation11/5/2011Tom Riddolls M.A.C.
  Q: It is in the original wood frame without any glass or protection. I like it and would like to know ...
  A: Besides physical damage your picture will likely be very stable for quite some time without much ...
fragile painting oil on canvas8/21/2011Tom Riddolls M.A.C.
  Q: This painting has been handed down through the family but no-one knows quite who painted it or where ...
  A: You did not actually ask your question! I assume you are asking handing and storage issues as that ...
art board8/3/2011Tom Riddolls M.A.C.
  Q: Sir, I last spoke with Mr. Vincent about artist board and his information was very helpful, I ...
  A: Although not called masonite, artists' board has been around for over a century. As I am not a ...
Unsigned Oil Paintings7/16/2011Tom Riddolls M.A.C.
  Q: I have a PAIR, of what are to my eye, impressionistic paintings titled "BLOIS ON THE LOIRE" as ...
  A: This is not my period at all, but what I would do is first look for physical evidence of the artist. ...
where to get valuation5/9/2011Tom Riddolls M.A.C.
  Q: i live in brisbane . thank you
  A: This is a paid service and most museum curators will be uncomfortable giving you any answers. Check ...
Replacing/removing text on an image in Photoshop3/21/2011Tom Riddolls M.A.C.
  Q: I am in the process of learning how to use Photoshop, so excuse me for my ignorance. I have two ...
  A: this is assuming both images are single layers first: use the clone tool to select the gradient and ...
Photoshop CS53/11/2011Tom Riddolls M.A.C.
  Q: I was wondering if you could help me out. I have an image of myself and an image of smoke. Im going ...
  A: There is no easy way to do this as you want to put yourself between the black and the white smoke ...
Jim Dine ???2/20/2011Tom Riddolls M.A.C.
  Q: I don't know if this falls into the catgories that you cover, but I was just trying to know exactly ...
  A: this is outside my area for sure, but I should say that most reproduction techniques (those for ...
Photoshop edit.2/14/2011Tom Riddolls M.A.C.
  Q: Okay so I was doing some blogging online and I came across a really cute picture, and I love this ...
  A: First off "technology and art" is outside of my expertise - but since I happen to be pretty good ...
Oil paint cracked2/13/2011Tom Riddolls M.A.C.
  Q: I have a client who was bringing me three oil paintings to be cleaned. He left them in a vehicle ...
  A: Sudden changes in temperature can certainly cause localized cracking. This is very common in ...
identification of painting and/or artist12/17/2010Tom Riddolls M.A.C.
  Q: My wife purchased a framed picture of a lady with a hat at a yard sale for $12.00 about 20 years ...
  A: I would be interested in looking at this. One of my sidelines is in art fraud and forgery and how ...
How to preserve an oil painting11/24/2010Tom Riddolls M.A.C.
  Q: My question is about an old oil painting I have, the paint is starting to peel and flake off in ...
  A: first i must apologize as this will be brief do to a severe hand injury. Ideally the painting ...
Print or ???10/25/2010Tom Riddolls M.A.C.
  Q: It has a copyright date of 1938 and shows a red farm barn down a land with giant trees on the side ...
  A: Without seeing it it is very difficult to tell but from what you are describing it sounds like a ...
BELLER 1960's Clown painting8/12/2010Tom Riddolls M.A.C.
  Q: We bought this painting in the early 60's in Spain from the artist. I cant seem to find any thing ...
  A: great painting - no idea the worth but you can see the Spanish heritage in it. Should be of some ...
An old painting8/11/2010Tom Riddolls M.A.C.
  Q: I was at Goodwill and saw this painting and bought it. At first I thought it was an art print. ...
  A: Hard to comment too much without better images. I would first off look at the back - is it on a ...
Artist Signature7/23/2010Tom Riddolls M.A.C.
  Q: I have a large oriental painting I've had for over 10 years and I've never been able to figure out ...
  A: Sorry Lisa but I know nothing of Oriental art and how it was marked. I would begin by looking for a ...
artists signatures5/21/2010Tom Riddolls M.A.C.
  Q: How can I discover who was the artist who painted a still life. Is there a site I can browse?
  A: Sorry can't help you there. There are thousands of artists out there for everyone one known ...
Education5/13/2010Tom Riddolls M.A.C.
  Q: Good morning, I am interested in your educational path. What kind of background did you have prior ...
  A: My education prior to the MA in conservation was a dual BA in art history and studio art. I also ...
Lithograph 15/154/15/2010Tom Riddolls M.A.C.
  Q: I have a R.C. Gorman Canyon de Chelly Night lithograph that is signed, dated and includes in the ...
  A: This is not my field, but I will mention that R.C. Gorman was very popular in the 70s and 80s but in ...
ART (no surprise there)3/18/2010Tom Riddolls M.A.C.
  Q: I actually have multi questions. About 20 or so years ago my mom and I went "antiquing". My thing ...
  A: My answer will disappoint as I am not an expert on any of these modern techniques. The Rockwell ...
OIL PAINTS3/9/2010Tom Riddolls M.A.C.
  Q: My oil paint tubes are leaking,is there some way to store the paint in another container that will ...
  A: I have a few tips that may help you. First, remember that oil paints dry through reaction with air, ...
Merida2/16/2010Tom Riddolls M.A.C.
  Q: I have a painting which appears to be signed by M. Merida. It is a floral arrangement of poppies. ...
  A: As I can not see the image I obviously can't say one way or the other but I have never known Merida ...
Paper types12/31/2009Tom Riddolls M.A.C.
  Q: Mr. Riddolls, I am a budding self-taught artist--if I may dub myself the honorable title of ...
  A: The process of making paper requires the use of acid to break down the wood pulp and the archival ...
copyright for raja ravi varma paintings11/19/2009Tom Riddolls M.A.C.
  Q: Sir, i m in India, doing postgraduate in fashion designing.i like to re-print old paintings of ...
  A: First of all I have no first hand experience securing Copyright, Second each country is different. ...
fine arts9/15/2009Frank Leeding
  Q: i have attended few fine arts classes in my country, i have been trying to paint, landscapes, still ...
  A: There are products that you use when you are *totally* done with the painting and it is totally dry ...
Triple Primed Cotton canvas8/28/2009Tom Riddolls M.A.C.
  Q: I recently bought on the Internet, a roll of what was supposed to be triple primed cotton canvas. ...
  A: I would have to agree with the manufacturer. The word primer does not have a strict definition and ...
Artist as Shaman8/19/2009Frank Leeding
  Q: I'm writing a PhD proposal which deals with the above topic. I've read your article 'Through a ...
  A: Nice that you enjoyed my paper (for an Anthro class). It's difficult to find *anything* on the ...
art8/5/2009Frank Leeding
  Q: ANSWER: Yes and no. Often times if you are really good as an artist (and most of the time we're ...
  A: It depends on how serious you are to becoming really good at art. If you are so-so on it, you can ...
Advice on artist and work7/30/2009Frank Leeding
  Q: I hope you can help. I am looking for some advice on a piece of work by an artist. His signature is ...
  A: Sorry to not be much help on this one... It could be a drawing (ink or pencil) or even a painting ...
No students in Art school7/23/2009Tom Riddolls M.A.C.
  Q: In my town there was a art school who closed because of lack of students. I think students are more ...
  A: The truth is - I can't. I'm not sure I want to get into the matter of if traditional crafts are of ...
Print Shoeing the mare7/10/2009Frank Leeding
  Q: I have an old print of shoeing the mare printed in 1884 and I would like to know the price Thanks
  A: In general prints if they are in excellent condition can go for $500 to $1000 if they are ...
art done on a computer using a computer program6/30/2009Frank Leeding
  Q: If you could direct me to where I can get info. on art done on a computer using a computer program. ...
  A: You might try down loading either paint.net or gimp - the first is a slightly extended version of ...
Identify original artist6/20/2009Tom Riddolls M.A.C.
  Q: Could you please help to identify the attatched photo of an amatuer version copied from a small ...
  A: Sorry but I can't help with this one other than to suggest you start by talking with curators from ...
Norman Rockwell5/24/2009Frank Leeding
  Q: I got this work of art by Norman Rockwell. Its a flat ceramic print in a wooden frame. The print ...
  A: These art works are like the coin sets, figurines, and even star trek jewelry thar are issued by ...
Old men's suit sample and print guide5/21/2009Frank Leeding
  Q: The question is about the technique for the prints in this old sample book. I know without seeing ...
  A: If they are offset lithos, then they WON'T be pasted in (like the cloth samples). If they are ...
Unsharp Masking.5/8/2009Frank Leeding
  Q: I know I read this along with examples but I can't find it now. Who was the artist who originated ...
  A: Sorry, but i'm afraid that the best i can come up with is the idea of chiaroscuro (which uses ...
Art5/7/2009Tom Riddolls M.A.C.
  Q: What is the inner structure or skeleton of a modern skyscraper called?
  A: The answer depends on who you ask. Generally Skeleton is the term used, but if you ask an Engineer ...
Nanotechnology5/5/2009Frank Leeding
  Q: What do you think/know about nanotechnology? what does it mean to you? Also, What is your ...
  A: NOTE: This is a partial answer and i will add to it later. short answer: wishing for nanotech is ...
Art History4/26/2009Frank Leeding
  Q: Did Michelangelo use assistants in the actual painting of the figure of God on the ceiling of the ...
  A: NOTE: this is a partial answer, i still need to track down sev dates, and such. also, pls excuse ...
options4/24/2009Tom Riddolls M.A.C.
  Q: Im storing a video in a program called LimeWire, but I cant get it onto iTunes. It says go to ...
  A: Yes, wrong guy, sorry. But what I can tell you is that the sort of information you seek is usually ...

Page:    1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5   |  Next       All

Art/Technology