Artificial Plant Lighting/Plant Light Bulb

Question
what is the GE Lighting 50w Plant Light Bulb good for?

Answer
Hi Clara,
   There are 2 types of incandescent plant light bulbs and GE makes both types. One type is basically a plant 'Display' light and the other type is a plant 'Grow' light.
Plant 'display' lights are designed to make plants look good and healthy but it does not produce sufficient light in the spectrum that plants require to grow. Plant 'Grow' light bulbs do produce light in the spectrum and intensity plants require.
One of the ways to tell the difference between the 2 types of bulbs is on the package of 'display' bulbs. The description will usually say that the bulbs will make the plants 'LOOK' green and healthy. There are usually no other kind of instructions or guidelines on the package. The package of the 'Grow' lights will usually have guides on how far plants should be placed from the bulbs and how many hours of artificial light plants should get per day. Unfortunately not all 'grow' light bulbs have these guides on the package.

I prefer to use fluorescent plant grow lights. Incandescent plant grow light bulbs are not quite as good to use as fluorescent lights and they produce too much heat. Plants can not be placed closer than 12 inches to the bulbs because of the large amount of heat the bulbs produce.
However, I still like to use them for several purposes. They work well to supplement fluorescent lighting. Also because they are incandescent bulbs they can be put into any kind of lamp. I usually put them in small inexpensive, goose-neck desk lamps. That way I can use them anywhere. I set them up to not only supplement fluorescent plant lighting but I can also set them up to supplement lighting for plants anywhere in the house. Incandescent plant-grow bulbs are especially helpful for very large plants, like Majesty palms, that are too big to fit into most artificial plant light systems.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions or need additional information please don't hesitate to ask.
     Thanks
       Tracy  

Artificial Plant Lighting

Tracy