Arts/Crafts Business/Hand Made Dolls

Question
I've created a line of crocheted plush dolls.  They're cats dressed up in different outfits, such as a cat dressed up like a flower. From what people tell me, they're totally adorable, and people keep suggesting I find a company to sell to.  Any suggestions?

Answer
Hi Talisha,

First do your research.

Find out what other handmade crafts like yours sell for. See if other products like yours are being sold in retail stores, specialty boutiques, gift shops etc.? Are they actually selling or just sitting on the shelf?

Learn about pricing your products for retail and wholesale. Do your research and see if you feel like you can make enough of your product to sell wholesale and if the wholesale price will make it worth your time.

Get started by selling at art and craft shows (so you can develop a sales history to present to companies). Then develop a mailing list to continue to market your products to those you already sold to (they are your best prospects for future sales). Create a way to stay connected with them through Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, etc.

Get a LinkedIn profile and fill it out as completely as you can optimizing it to attract the people you want to connect with (in your case companies looking for products to sell retail). You can view my LinkedIn profile at http://www.linkedin.com/in/theextravaganza/ to see how your profile can be used to attract your audience.

Join LinkedIn groups on selling your products at art and craft show and to retailers and learn as much as you can about getting your products in retail stores.

Hope that helps,

Shasta McLaughlin
The Extravaganza Craft Productions
http://www.extravaganzacrafts.net/blog

Arts/Crafts Business

Shasta McLaughlin