Arts/Crafts for Kids/tempera paint and coloring (called :crayon etching: )

Question
My sister told me of a project she used to do with her students, but she couldn't remember the particulars.  To start, you make big scribble strokes on paper and color each section a different color using crayons (we called them stained glass or kaleidoscope pictures when we were kids).  Then, she said to mix black tempera paint with water and dish soap and paint it over the colored paper.  When it dries, take a toothpick or similar object and draw a picture on the black paint.  The paint will come off and the picture will be multi-colored.  Have you heard of this and if so, do you know the ratio of soap to paint and water?  Thank you for your help.

Answer
That's the project!! Plain and simple!!

I think the ratio must be on the internet. When I've done it, I just squirt some dish soap into the paint and water, without measuring, and never had a problem. The recipe I'm going to share with you suggests.... one tablespoon of liquid soap to each pint of black paint

I found this, which is pretty self explanatory.

YOU WILL NEED
Sturdy paper with a glossy side, such as oak tag or poster board, cut into 8- by 10-inch pieces
Crayons (See note below.)
Black liquid tempera paint
Brushes
Liquid soap
Newsprint paper cut into 8- by 10-inch pieces
Pencils
White chalk
Tools for engraving, such as wooden stylus sticks, rounded toothpicks, nails, popsicle sticks, nail files, and small screwdrivers
Newspaper pads
Tissues or soft rags for wiping the crayoned papers
    Note: Choose crayons that have strong color and good wax content - Crayola crayons were used in this lesson. The most brilliant colors work best. Black crayon should be avoided since it won't show up against the black tempera paint.

Cut the paper for the engravings into 8x10-inch pieces, planning one for each child plus a few extra for demonstration.
Add approximately one tablespoon of liquid soap to each pint of black paint. Test the paint to be sure it adheres to the crayoned surface and can be engraved without chipping.
Cover a paper with crayon before class for demonstration.
Set out cut paper, crayons, newspaper pads, tissues, black paint, and brushes.

Arts/Crafts for Kids

MaryAnn F. Kohl