Aruba/Beach Bungalows

Hello Andy,
I am a 59 year old, Caucasian, single male living in Tennessee U.S.A. I am searching to rent a super economical beach bungalow in Florida or the Carribbean area,(for the sake of cheaper airfare), for a couple of weeks or a month every year or so, during the worst of Winter weather...nothing fancy, just a hut or bungalow on or near the beach where I can relax, fish, read, and catch up on stuff and stay warm. I will be by myself. Not into night life, the club scene, or woman chasing. Just a simple, no frills or luxuries, primitive stay where I can get cheap eats, stay warm, and rest, but in a safe location.
I've found bungalows for low as $10.00/night on Corn Island, Nicaragua and beach bungalows in India for the same price, but I fear either getting robbed or the possibility of having someone plant drugs on me because they might dislike Americans, and then the nightmare or possibility of dealing with their legal systems and possibly a long prison stay.
Can you provide me with any recommendations or provide information on any links, books, etc. that would help me with what I have described above; preferrably in a country which utilizes a legal system as used in America?
I checked on airfares to some neat bungalows in Thailand but round trip would cost $1600.00. I think maybe Florida or the Carribbean area might be best economically.

Thank you greatly.

Mike E.

Hi Mike! I can only give you info on Aruba, as I visit there often. First thing I can say, for what you are looking for, Aruba is not the place for you.  The Cheapest accomodations you will find are around 79.00 per night, add taxes and other charges, it will run over $100.00 per day. Also, these economical hotels are usually not anywhere on the beach...or close to them. Though Aruba is somewhat safe, it has a high price tag.
If you still need to do any research,  is a bulletin board, and had info, along with timeshare owners offering rentals for various weeks thru out the year.
I hope this helped you in some way...happy travels!!!

Andy Mendyk

Been to this Island 25 times, can answer questions on weather, airline service, hotels, beaches, time-share industry, Casinos, local customs, and everything a first time traveler needs to know.

Recieved The Certificate of Distinction from The Aruba Tourism Authority on 8/29/98