Asian/Middle Eastern History/Questions

SubjectDate AskedExpert
Indian History1/20/2015Aupmanyav
  Q: Why did the English decide to partition Bengal? Thanks
  A: "The provincial state of Bengal had an area of 189,000 square miles and a population of nearly 8 ...
Indian History1/20/2015Abhijit
  Q: Why did the English Decide to partition Bengal? Thanks
  A: The provincial state of Bengal had an area of 189,000 miles and a population of nearly 8 crores (80 ...
Old Hindu (?) painting on silk4/28/2014Aupmanyav
  Q: I recently acquired what appears to be an extremely old painting on silk. At some point it was ...
  A: This is a nice painting. Though I am not an antique specialist, it could be 19th century or early ...
Indian Pitcher2/26/2013Aupmanyav
  Q: I have a brass pitcher, it seems old, and reads "India ac14" underneath its base. I have been trying ...
  A: A typical 'surahi' (goblet) for dispensing wine or sherbet. Clean it and use it (with lemon skin) ...
large brass pot12/16/2012Aupmanyav
  Q: I have a very large (approximately 20" tall x 24" wide). It is very heavy (30 pounds) has very heavy ...
  A: Are there any markings on the outside? Have it cleaned. The markings at the top will generally ...
Small brass statue4/15/2012Aupmanyav
  Q: Do you know the country of origin of this item ? If so, what can you tell me about this item ? For ...
  A: This IMHV, is a Thanjavur Bronze (Tamilnadu, India), of a male deity, probably Murugan/Kartikeya. ...
Ancient Persian Manuscript Page2/29/2012Aupmanyav
  Q: Greetings Please, I believe I may have a page of an ancient Persian manuscript (photo attached) ...
  A: This is not a persian painting. This is most probably an Indian moghul painting. This I surmise by ...
lota12/14/2011Aupmanyav
  Q: I'm so sorry to bother you again. You have been so kind and knowledgeable, but please tell me who to ...
  A: :) I think Google is your best help. Here ...
Brass lota12/9/2011Aupmanyav
  Q: Greetings I have a brass Punja lota that I have been pestering folks about for the past two years. ...
  A: If possible, load the photographs on a photo-site and let me have a look at it. Some detailed pics, ...
hospitality3/7/2011Aupmanyav
  Q: I would like to get some information (and read) about the philosophical and social aspects of ...
  A: There are three reasons why guests are treated with special care in India (and in middle-east also). ...
video game2/14/2011Aupmanyav
  Q: i'm currently playing a pc game called empire:total war,right now i'm in india and encountered war ...
  A: War elephants are an imposing sight but not difficult to defeat. Indians lost many a wars because of ...
Oldest Song?1/3/2011Aupmanyav
  Q: What is the oldest song still regularly performed? I'm guessing it must come from a Mid-Eastern ...
  A: Why should it must be from a Mid-Eastern culture? Were there not people in other cultures? Did they ...
India: diet in brahmanic families12/19/2010Aupmanyav
  Q: I know that in brahmin varna women stay on vedic (vegetarian) diet during pregnancy and feeding, ...
  A: It is not only the brahmin women but many vaishya women (trader class) also who abstain from ...
Baby Krishna10/21/2010Aupmanyav
  Q: ..I have this small heavy bronze figure that I think is a Baby Krishna...Could you tell me if this ...
  A: You are right, it is baby Krishna, in Thanjavvur Tamil style (the town of the largest temple in ...
Indian vs. the western civilization8/8/2010Aupmanyav
  Q: I wish to know wether the indian civilisation ever rivaled its western counterparts? From what ...
  A: I do not very much like rivalry questions. Every culture has/had its days, whether it was Greek, ...
Mythology Question7/31/2010Jennifer
  Q: I'm not sure you'll know anything about this, but perhaps you could point me in the right direction. ...
  A: In Chinese, we have a saying '炎黄子孙' which can be translated literally as ...
What is this coin?6/15/2010Jennifer
  Q: Quite awhile ago, I bought some Asian coins at a garage sale. I learned what most of the coins are, ...
  A: I think the coins are from Song Dynasty. It seems like the character of 'Song'(宋) is written ...
ww 113/26/2010Anthony
  Q: Anthony, I saw that you are listed under different categorie but I was impressed by your answer that ...
  A: Leah, Thank you for your kind comments on an earlier answer. Being a keen student of history, I ...
Failure of Singapore Tang Dynasty12/27/2009Jennifer
  Q: Why is one of Singapore's attraction Tang dynasty a failure?
  A: I believe that there are a few reasons that caused the Tang Dynasty Village to cease operation ...
intrepretation11/24/2009Jennifer
  Q: I purchased a bamboo with what I belive is Chinese writting on it. I'd like to have a translation ...
  A: Yes, the inscriptions on the bamboos are in Chinese. Generally speaking, bamboo sticks should be ...
Chinese drawing11/17/2009Jennifer
  Q: I bought a pair of these 'bird pictures' about 50 years in Hong Kong because I liked them but I ...
  A: I apologize for my delay in replying to your email. I tried to look up the exact name of the bird ...
India and the World Map10/18/2009Abhijit
  Q: Why is India along with certain neighboring countries called a SUBCONTINENT? Looking at the globe, ...
  A: As you know the term "sub" is used to describe a particular thing which is having lesser importance ...
buddhist art and architecture10/15/2009Anthony
  Q: i need information on Buddhist art and architecture (as the title suggests) can you also tell me ...
  A: Please accept my apologies for reverting late on this, but unfortunately I do not have uninterrupted ...
Indian ethnicity10/11/2009Anthony
  Q: I would like to know if Indians (India) are considered Caucasians?
  A: Please accept my apologies for the delay in reverting to you. I do not have continuous net access, ...
sepoy mutiny of 185710/3/2009Abhijit
  Q: Was the Sepoy mutiny of 1857 a WAR or REVOLT? ANSWER: Hi Paroma, your question itself answer your ...
  A: There is little difference between "revolt" and "War". whenever soldiares starts armed conflict, its ...
world war II8/30/2009Anthony
  Q: What are the causes of World War II?
  A: Please excuse me for the delayed response, as I do not have constant access to the internet. The ...
hello..8/25/2009Jennifer
  Q: Excuse me.. I wanna ask a question about china revolution.. For the specific I wanna ask abot, what ...
  A: The Cultural Revolution is largely considered as a failure. During those years, the elites, scholars ...
Middle Eastern People8/1/2009Aupmanyav
  Q: What are the implications of the concept of fate or the will of Allah upon personal responsibility ...
  A: I am not a muslim and my knowledge is basically about Indian history. I will reply to your question ...
Indian history7/28/2009Aupmanyav
  Q: What are the forth facts about the Boda relegion?
  A: I am not clear about your question. By Boda religion, do you mean the buddhist (Buddha) religion? ...
budhist art7/18/2009Anthony
  Q: i'd like to know who has paint the history of buddha? Who is the first artist?
  A: Please accept my apologies for the delayed response. I do not have regular access to a computer and ...
history7/15/2009Aupmanyav
  Q: Please can We ask you a few questions about: 1-The reasons of French expedition on Egypt. 2-The ...
  A: Let me state at the first instance that I am not a middle-east history expert. My knowledge ...
How many people died from violence in the Indian Independence movement?6/15/2009Abhijit
  Q: How many people died during the Indian Independence movement as a result of the Independence ...
  A: Nice to know that your are doing research on Indian history but the statistic data you are asking is ...
name mela history5/25/2009Anthony
  Q: Im not sure whether you will be able to answer this or not but Im wondering where or how the name ...
  A: Please accept my apologies for not answering sooner - I have limited access to the internet. Mela ...
Sub-continent`s history5/11/2009Aupmanyav
  Q: When was the east-India company established in the sub- continent? At which year? can u give all the ...
  A: East India Company was founded in 1600. Emperor Jahangir granted it permission for a trading post in ...
qin dynasty5/9/2009Jennifer
  Q: You were very helpful. Would it be possible to ask a few more for our interview? #1. What was Qin's ...
  A: I did not study much into the childhood of Qin Shi Huang's childhood so I can only tell you as much ...
Qin dynasty5/5/2009Jennifer
  Q: My daughter needs to conduct an interview with an expert on the Qin Dynasty and ask certain ...
  A: I have reordered your question a little bit as some parts are connected to another. Here are my ...
European Explorers in Japan4/14/2009M.G. Sheftall
  Q: This isn't specifically Japanese history, but it still somewhat counts. My question is, How did ...
  A: John, Your question is indeed relevant to Japanese history -- which might have been very different ...
mystery rock---what is it3/31/2009Anthony
  Q: Hey Anthony--just wanted to check and see if you were able to come up with any more info after I ...
  A: Sorry for not reverting to you earlier, but the reason for that was because I had no further ...
Japanese Immigration3/30/2009M.G. Sheftall
  Q: why did most of the japanese immigrants emigrate japan?
  A: There were primarily two main reasons for the large scale Japanese emigration from Japan that ...
mystery rock3/26/2009Anthony
  Q: someone had given it to him as a gift, I think--until recently, when my mother passed away I had ...
  A: Just wanted to provide you with an update that I just received from the Nelson-Atkins Museum's ...

Page:    1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5   |  Next       All

Asian/Middle Eastern History

Abhijit

Top Expert on this page