Ask the Veterinarian/1 month old M orphaned kitten

Hello Jana,
Thank you for your time.  I have been caring for a 4 week old male orphaned kitten for 10 days now.  He weighs 380 grams, and is eating approx. 16 teaspoons of Nutrience brand KMR (KItten Milk Replacement) per day at 4 hour intervals.  Yesterday he had a visit to the veterinarian in our area to be treated for constipation.  He was given two enemas, 1 hour apart, and sub-Q electrolytes.  Dr. Karas gave him a clean bill of health otherwise, and perscribed 0.01 ml of lactulose to be given 2X, 12 hours apart for 2 days.  I know that lactulose pulls water from the body into the bowels.  My question is, should I be giving him some extra water, other than what he is getting from his formula, in between feedings.  He usually drinks 3 to 3 1/2 teaspoons per feeding, about every 4 hours.  Thank you again for your time
Kind Regards,

It certainly won't hurt to give him a little water in a bottle now and then but he is probably getting plenty from his formula. Oral fluids won't hurt him so give him some water or put a dish out. At four weeks old he should be able to start drinking from a bowl. Just make it a little round deeper bowl so he can't tip it over.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT

PLEASE READ BEFORE SUBMITTING TO ME: I am NOT a vet and do NOT diagnose diseases. That is only for a licensed Veterinarian to do. I will give you suggestions and steer you toward calling your vet for help. You can call the vet's office and talk to the technician there or the vet at times. Don't be afraid to call them! If you have a serious issue with your pet please post it to one of the veterinarians in here- I will tell you the same thing in my answer. IF your pet is injured or in an emergency situation, CALL YOUR VET- Do not wait and post in here. Just call the vet's office and get them in to see the vet right away. Critical treatment time is lost if you seek answers here when you should have your precious pet at the vets!! Don't sit at home waiting for an answer when your pet is critically ill or injured!! I can answer most questions about small animal and wildlife care as well as small animal nutrition. I can also answer questions about all phases of dental care for small animals. I DO NOT answer questions about birds (unless it is wildlife or songbirds) or HAMSTERS/GERBILS/CHINS/GUINEA PIGS/REPTILES/FROGS/RABBITS/PET BIRDS OF ANY KIND so please submit these questions to the appropriate sections. I, as well as other experts in here, do NOT do homework questions- that is for YOU to do! Please respect these rules for all of us. Thanks!

I have over 35 years experience in the field of veterinary medicine. I specialized in small animals and did wildlife rehab for over 25 years, mostly raptors, squirrels and opossums. I am a Small Animal Nutritional Consultant with 6 certificates from Hills Pet Foods, CNM and Purina. I also specialized in Small Animal Dentistry which is a field I truly love.

Audubon,World Wildlife Federation, American Society of Veterinary Dental Technicians.

Licensed with California and Oregon, RVT and CVT. Certified Veterinary Dental Technician Have over 550 logged hours of Continuing Education Credits(that means I keep up to date!).

Nominated for Expert of the Month for the last 5 years.