Ask the Veterinarian/Cavalier King Charles and scooting.

I have 9 year old Cavalier, female.  She was fixed many years ago.  According to the vet we have been seeing for all of her 9 years, she has allergies.  The test came out grass and trees. We do not have grass in our yard, we have turf.  We live in a condo and there are trees out side our yard.  She is not an outdoor dog, loves to be inside. We gave her allergy shots for 2 plus years and nothing changed.  I have tried her on many, many different foods that did not help.  We had her anal glands removed thinking that was causing the scooting.  That has not helped.  I now have her on Grain Free food to no avail.  She scoots on the carpet to the point of making her pee-pee raw.  I put aloe on her to take the sting away and that has helped, but only when she is raw.  Her skin is beautiful, no problem there just with the really bad scooting.  She will even scoot on the cement in the patio and garage.  She just looks misreable when this happens and it is tormenting my husband and myself.  We love her so much.  I am also trying to find a local vet who specialies and Cavs.  No luck yet.

Probably no one specializes in this breed, since a dog is pretty much a dog. However, you can find veterinary dermatologists. There is actually one on this site name Dr. Louis N. Gotthelf. he specializes in this exact type of problem.

I would post this question to him as he could help you much more efficiently than I could.

My only suggestion would be that even though she tested for trees and grass, many people overlook the fact that certain rugs and flooring can also cause these types of contact dermatitis and scooting.

Wool, nylon etc. can cause terrible allergies in some dogs. I would try removing some of the rugs lying around the house to see if it helps her somewhat. Some people have had to resort to removing the carpeting to work but hopefully it won't come to that for you.

In the meantime, post this to Dr. Louis N. Gotthelf at this link:

He does dermatology as well as ear problems.

Let me know what you find out!  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT

PLEASE READ BEFORE SUBMITTING TO ME: I am NOT a vet and do NOT diagnose diseases. That is only for a licensed Veterinarian to do. I will give you suggestions and steer you toward calling your vet for help. You can call the vet's office and talk to the technician there or the vet at times. Don't be afraid to call them! If you have a serious issue with your pet please post it to one of the veterinarians in here- I will tell you the same thing in my answer. IF your pet is injured or in an emergency situation, CALL YOUR VET- Do not wait and post in here. Just call the vet's office and get them in to see the vet right away. Critical treatment time is lost if you seek answers here when you should have your precious pet at the vets!! Don't sit at home waiting for an answer when your pet is critically ill or injured!! I can answer most questions about small animal and wildlife care as well as small animal nutrition. I can also answer questions about all phases of dental care for small animals. I DO NOT answer questions about birds (unless it is wildlife or songbirds) or HAMSTERS/GERBILS/CHINS/GUINEA PIGS/REPTILES/FROGS/RABBITS/PET BIRDS OF ANY KIND so please submit these questions to the appropriate sections. I, as well as other experts in here, do NOT do homework questions- that is for YOU to do! Please respect these rules for all of us. Thanks!

I have over 35 years experience in the field of veterinary medicine. I specialized in small animals and did wildlife rehab for over 25 years, mostly raptors, squirrels and opossums. I am a Small Animal Nutritional Consultant with 6 certificates from Hills Pet Foods, CNM and Purina. I also specialized in Small Animal Dentistry which is a field I truly love.

Audubon,World Wildlife Federation, American Society of Veterinary Dental Technicians.

Licensed with California and Oregon, RVT and CVT. Certified Veterinary Dental Technician Have over 550 logged hours of Continuing Education Credits(that means I keep up to date!).

Nominated for Expert of the Month for the last 5 years.