Ask the Veterinarian/Fleas??

Question
My 12 year old female tabby is an indoor cat (but we have a dog that goes out). I recently moved to Florida and I cannot control the fleas. She has skin allergies that I have been able to control with limited ingredient foods so I am sure its the fleas. She has scabs and open sores on her head, neck and some on her butt where her tail attaches. No one knows what to do. We have nothing but a bed and a sofa that are upholstered and no carpets or rugs at all. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Diana

Answer
You should get some REVOLUTION flea drops and put them between her shoulders.  That will help keep the number of fleas to a minimum.  Then have a vet give the cat a shot of a long acting steroid called Depo Medrol to help control the itching and self mutilation.  A new alternative is called Feline Atopica, which is a liquid medication given 15 days in a row and then twice weekly to control itching and skin irritation.

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Louis N. Gotthelf