Ask the Veterinarian/Pet Rat

I have a pet rat that i just got two weeks ago and noticed a couple day later that her genital where out, its bin two weeks and they have not went back in, it has came out a bit more and also her back legs are kind of in towards her stomach. i can pick her no problems she is not crying or make any noises and also i think she is losing weight you can feel her bones...Please help i have no idea what's going on...

I'm sorry Linda but I don't answer rat questions as I don't know enough about them medically to do so. I would suggest that you take her in to see your vet or at least to the pet store where you got her so that they can see what you are talking about.

I can't even imagine what you are describing.

Most vets won't charge much to see a rat, but ask if they have seen them before so you get a vet that knows what they are looking at.

You could also post your question in the rodent or exotic pet section here in

Please don't wait to get her into the vets. The sooner you do, the sooner this can be addressed.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT

PLEASE READ BEFORE SUBMITTING TO ME: I am NOT a vet and do NOT diagnose diseases. That is only for a licensed Veterinarian to do. I will give you suggestions and steer you toward calling your vet for help. You can call the vet's office and talk to the technician there or the vet at times. Don't be afraid to call them! If you have a serious issue with your pet please post it to one of the veterinarians in here- I will tell you the same thing in my answer. IF your pet is injured or in an emergency situation, CALL YOUR VET- Do not wait and post in here. Just call the vet's office and get them in to see the vet right away. Critical treatment time is lost if you seek answers here when you should have your precious pet at the vets!! Don't sit at home waiting for an answer when your pet is critically ill or injured!! I can answer most questions about small animal and wildlife care as well as small animal nutrition. I can also answer questions about all phases of dental care for small animals. I DO NOT answer questions about birds (unless it is wildlife or songbirds) or HAMSTERS/GERBILS/CHINS/GUINEA PIGS/REPTILES/FROGS/RABBITS/PET BIRDS OF ANY KIND so please submit these questions to the appropriate sections. I, as well as other experts in here, do NOT do homework questions- that is for YOU to do! Please respect these rules for all of us. Thanks!

I have over 35 years experience in the field of veterinary medicine. I specialized in small animals and did wildlife rehab for over 25 years, mostly raptors, squirrels and opossums. I am a Small Animal Nutritional Consultant with 6 certificates from Hills Pet Foods, CNM and Purina. I also specialized in Small Animal Dentistry which is a field I truly love.

Audubon,World Wildlife Federation, American Society of Veterinary Dental Technicians.

Licensed with California and Oregon, RVT and CVT. Certified Veterinary Dental Technician Have over 550 logged hours of Continuing Education Credits(that means I keep up to date!).

Nominated for Expert of the Month for the last 5 years.