Ask the Veterinarian/My Pit Bull's nose

I have noticed in the last day or so that my Pit's nose is raw in several places on top, and just below his nostrils. He is about 6 years old, and he has never had any such issues before. He has had no noticeable nasal discharge, and the issue does not seem to have affected his demeanor or appetite. I am wondering if it is something as simple as an allergy to grass or to my kitten whom he plays with. Please help!! I love my big baby, and I don't want him to have a sore nose.

Raw patches on any dogs nose is a sign of something going on that is beyond a kitten playing with it.

There are a lot of possibilities, but some auto-immune diseases start out with patches like this on the nose. Lupus and Pemphigus are two that I can think of right off the top.

Allergies, contact allergies, can cause bleeding of the skin and it can occur on the nose but the skin between the toes, the lips and sometimes the rectum are usually involved as well.

Your best course here is to have a vet look at his nose soon. Auto-immune diseases such as Lupus and Pemphigus are best controlled if caught early.

So call your vet next week and make him an appointment to be seen.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT

PLEASE READ BEFORE SUBMITTING TO ME: I am NOT a vet and do NOT diagnose diseases. That is only for a licensed Veterinarian to do. I will give you suggestions and steer you toward calling your vet for help. You can call the vet's office and talk to the technician there or the vet at times. Don't be afraid to call them! If you have a serious issue with your pet please post it to one of the veterinarians in here- I will tell you the same thing in my answer. IF your pet is injured or in an emergency situation, CALL YOUR VET- Do not wait and post in here. Just call the vet's office and get them in to see the vet right away. Critical treatment time is lost if you seek answers here when you should have your precious pet at the vets!! Don't sit at home waiting for an answer when your pet is critically ill or injured!! I can answer most questions about small animal and wildlife care as well as small animal nutrition. I can also answer questions about all phases of dental care for small animals. I DO NOT answer questions about birds (unless it is wildlife or songbirds) or HAMSTERS/GERBILS/CHINS/GUINEA PIGS/REPTILES/FROGS/RABBITS/PET BIRDS OF ANY KIND so please submit these questions to the appropriate sections. I, as well as other experts in here, do NOT do homework questions- that is for YOU to do! Please respect these rules for all of us. Thanks!

I have over 35 years experience in the field of veterinary medicine. I specialized in small animals and did wildlife rehab for over 25 years, mostly raptors, squirrels and opossums. I am a Small Animal Nutritional Consultant with 6 certificates from Hills Pet Foods, CNM and Purina. I also specialized in Small Animal Dentistry which is a field I truly love.

Audubon,World Wildlife Federation, American Society of Veterinary Dental Technicians.

Licensed with California and Oregon, RVT and CVT. Certified Veterinary Dental Technician Have over 550 logged hours of Continuing Education Credits(that means I keep up to date!).

Nominated for Expert of the Month for the last 5 years.