Ask the Veterinarian/regurgitation

My Cat is 4, indoor, and quite small with short hair.  She regurgitates her food a few times a month it seems, and i have not noticed anyother symptoms.  I give her dry meow mix.  She always does this within 5-20 min after eating.  I do feel that she is always eating her food quite fast.  I leave a bowl of food for her at all times and she eats as she pleases.  I feel that she fears there will not be food when i am gone at work because she is always eating shortly after i get home.  I have also noticed that she will never eat the last bit in the bowl like she is always making sure she has some if i dont come back for a long period of time.
I need to know what things may be going on, should this alert me to taking her to the vet? I would prefer not to take her since she will not react well to that.

7 day transition chart
7 day transition chart  
It's very possible that what you are feeding her is causing this problem. We get questions from owners all of the time whose cats are eating grocery store junk food such as meow mix and they usually are
A: vomiting or regurgitating their food or
B: have stinky, sticky sloppy stool with frank (bright red) blood in it.

Once they switch their cats to a high quality food such as Science Diet, all of the above goes away. As long as the cat is on Science Diet, the problems stay away as well.

I am taking care of my daughter in laws cat who was eating the same type of cheap, low-nutrient food. I could barely stand to clean out his litter box. He was also randomly vomiting up food all over the place. he had little tiny scabs all over his body but no fleas.

After two weeks on Science Diet Sensitive Skin formula, he is 100% better and looks like a new cat. No more vomiting, no more smelly stool at all, and all the scabs are gone. His hair is growing back out and he looks wonderful. He is ten years old or older.

Imagine what it will do for your younger cat. Science Diet makes an indoor cat formula just for cats like yours.

While it might cost you a few cents more, since they usually eat less food over all due to the highly digestible nutrients in this food, it will actually last longer.

You need to switch her over slowly, over a seven day period. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Hill's guarantees their food with a 100% money back iron-clad promise of a refund, but it is rarely ever needed once you see how great your cat does on it.

Science Diet had over 50 yrs of veterinary research and feeding trials behind its food- something no other food on the market has.

The little trick she does about eating when you get home is more of a social thing than a hoarding thing. Her eating too fast, combined with the irritating ingredients in these cheaper foods, help to contribute to her regurgitating her food later.

As far as her going to the vet, I hope that she has been there before and is spayed and vaccinated!!

Try the Science Diet for three weeks. Then let me know how she does on it. You will be amazed at the difference in her.
I have enclosed a 7 day transition chart for you.

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT

PLEASE READ BEFORE SUBMITTING TO ME: I am NOT a vet and do NOT diagnose diseases. That is only for a licensed Veterinarian to do. I will give you suggestions and steer you toward calling your vet for help. You can call the vet's office and talk to the technician there or the vet at times. Don't be afraid to call them! If you have a serious issue with your pet please post it to one of the veterinarians in here- I will tell you the same thing in my answer. IF your pet is injured or in an emergency situation, CALL YOUR VET- Do not wait and post in here. Just call the vet's office and get them in to see the vet right away. Critical treatment time is lost if you seek answers here when you should have your precious pet at the vets!! Don't sit at home waiting for an answer when your pet is critically ill or injured!! I can answer most questions about small animal and wildlife care as well as small animal nutrition. I can also answer questions about all phases of dental care for small animals. I DO NOT answer questions about birds (unless it is wildlife or songbirds) or HAMSTERS/GERBILS/CHINS/GUINEA PIGS/REPTILES/FROGS/RABBITS/PET BIRDS OF ANY KIND so please submit these questions to the appropriate sections. I, as well as other experts in here, do NOT do homework questions- that is for YOU to do! Please respect these rules for all of us. Thanks!

I have over 35 years experience in the field of veterinary medicine. I specialized in small animals and did wildlife rehab for over 25 years, mostly raptors, squirrels and opossums. I am a Small Animal Nutritional Consultant with 6 certificates from Hills Pet Foods, CNM and Purina. I also specialized in Small Animal Dentistry which is a field I truly love.

Audubon,World Wildlife Federation, American Society of Veterinary Dental Technicians.

Licensed with California and Oregon, RVT and CVT. Certified Veterinary Dental Technician Have over 550 logged hours of Continuing Education Credits(that means I keep up to date!).

Nominated for Expert of the Month for the last 5 years.