Ask the Veterinarian/Siberian Husky broken left finger bone (front)

Hi! My husky started limping 2 weeks ago and we took her to the vet. The doctor initially gave her anti-inflammatory meds to be taken for 2 weeks. According to the vet, there's no need for Allie to undergo an x-ray since she can put weight on her left paw but after 5 days we noticed there's no improvement and she started to lift her left leg and won't put it down while walking. We took her to the vet again and this time she advised us to have Allie get an x-ray. The result showed Allie had a broken finger bone. Unfortunately the vet told us it can't be repaired, the fractured bone is too small and can't be replaced. We were advised to do therapy for her by holding her left leg and making a circular motion everyday. We were also told that we should let Allie slowly put weight on her left paw while walking her. This will eventually let her realize that she can still walk with her four legs.

I hope those who can read this can help me with how to properly care for dogs who have fractured finger bone. I hate to see my Allie walking in such discomfort. I want to hear your thoughts about this and hopefully get feedback with those who have the same case. All of your suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Thank you!

As I was closing a window I realized you do not live in the US, so in the Find a Healer section, you can use those sites to learn about each healing modality, then look on the internet in your country to find practitioners. Also look for people who do your native healing on people or animals and apply that to your dog.

Since you are sending out a broadcast message for advice, I suspect you will have a lot of good suggestions. Importantly, you need to stop an evaluate each suggestion as to how it will apply to you and Allie. I am a bit concerned about your veterinarian saying to move the leg unless there is a splint on the paw. If there is a splint on the paw then good advice. If no splint, I would think the motion would not allow the finger bone to heal.

Holistic modalities can help your pup heal much faster.
1. this one can be done from across the ocean if you cannot find anyone in your country. Reiki: From the book, Healthy Animal's Journal - "Reiki: Personally, I think every person who lives with or works with animals must know at least Level I Reiki. The practitioner places her hands upon the animal (or it can be done from a distance, even around the world) with the intent for healing to occur. The energy flows through the healer into the animal. This is based on directly applying Chi (energy) to rebalance the energy field so it no longer needs to produce the physical symptoms. It is a very good adjunct to any healing modality, especially to relieve pain and inflammation. I have seen cats who begin to eat again when their food has Reiki done on the food. It also "takes the bad out of" things. By doing Reiki on smelly water in restaurants I have been able to drink sweet tasting and smelling water. Use Reiki anytime that you must give injections, vaccines, drugs, flea or heartworm drugs, or other substances with potential toxicity. Do you work in a grooming salon, or kennel, or veterinary clinic, or barn or anywhere animals are being seen? Use your Reiki on any treatments to be given and to calm the animals. People have reported getting animals to eat by doing Reiki on their food.  .  is a great practitioner in Maryland who knows a lot about cats. Get a free treatment at Great information on Reiki - Kathleen Prasad is a wonderful teacher and works with my favorite sanctuary and holistic education center, BrightHaven She just had an article on Reiki in Feline Wellness. Kathleen leads a free monthly telechat for anyone trained in Reiki and using it with animals. If you cannot find a Reiki Class near you (same class for people and animals as it connects you through an "attunement" to the healing energy of the universe, making you a channel of healing), three groups offer long distance, free, attunements.
3. offers free Reiki attunements, classes and training on-line    and animal classes, too
Long distance healing and training is at  
A client of mine is using Christine, Her name is Christine at, To receive free distance Reiki send her your first name only, city and state, and whether or not you have had any Reiki training.  She invites you to include your pets as well.  She uses a teddy bear and does a full body Reiki distance treatment for one hour each Sunday evening from 9 p.m. until 10 p.m. EST.

Another wonderful healer, Deena Spears works long distance with Sound Tuning. I have seen many animals and the people in a home be healed by her work.

2. I strongly recommend finding an integrative veterinarian with whom to work for long term care and for quick recovery from this injury. This is a person trained in many different approaches, including using conventional drugs only when absolutely needed. Working with one can increase the chance that your cherished companion can live a long and healthy life after recovering from this current problem. There are good ones and great ones, and a few homeopathic veterinarians will consult by phone or email. Read my comments at the end on working with and selecting a holistic veterinarian.
You can go to the web sites for each type of holistic practice and use their referral list to find one near to you:
1. Acupuncture and Chinese medicine: & Pain relief, faster healing.
2. Homeopathic veterinarians (these can often help you by phone if no other holistic practitioners are nearby that you like): and These remedies can help bones heal faster, and not be painful, in ways that encourage long life.
3. Chiropractor -  Often when a bone is broken, we twist our bodies to compensate, thereby causing more problems, so this would be excellent.
4. Wide range of other treatments:, American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association

Then if you want great health, read some of the other posts for the 7 keys of health or visit my website for them -

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Christina Chambreau

I can give you the holistic approach to any problem, mostly for dogs and cats and some farm animals and horses. Depending on the condition and the type of animal, I will be able to give very specific treatment suggestions such as what flower essences, homeopathic remedies, nutritional supplements, diet changes, lifestyle changes or herbs that may be helpful - not drugs. I can also suggest where you can go for further education or to find a specialist in a specific holistic field. I can help you understand why your animal is ill and what improvements can be expected. I do not check messages more than every one to two days, so PLEASE DO NOT ask about EMERGENCIES - call your local veterinarian. I cannot diagnose your animal. I cannot prescribe specific treatments. I am no longer very current with conventional treatments, so cannot answer questions on those. I am not an expert on birds or small critters. I am not an expert in breeding, birthing or babies.

I graduated from the University of Georgia College of Veterinary Medicine in 1980 and began using homeopathy in my practice after a client introduced me to it. By 1988 I was using exclusively holistic treatments. I began lecturing in 1987 and have spoken at veterinary conferences, health food stores, people's homes, churches, veterinary college conferences - anywhere people want to learn more about keeping their animals healthy.

Academy of Veterinary Homeopathy (I helped found this one) American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association National Center for Homeopathy American Veterinary Medical Association

I have written in many magazines, journals and newspapers. A few include Bark Magazine; Journal of the AHVMA; Baltimore Dog Magazine; Whole Dog Journal; Tiger Tribe; Wolf Clan. I have also been frequently interviewed on radio and TV. I am Associate Editor for the Integrative Veterinary Care Journal, so often have articles there.

Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) Certified Veterinary Homeopath (CVH)