Ask the Veterinarian/Sons dog just lost control of hind legs

Question
QUESTION: Hi, thank you for being there. My sons dog, a lab mix, approximately 12 years hard a hard time walking this morning. My son left and about 3 hours later she went to get up and fell back, her back legs gave out. We have her on a blanket and covered to be warm. My wife thinks she feels cold. We have tried to get her to stand but she is unable to so. She cannot stand and is laying down and can hardly hold her head up.  We have had dogs, never had one just lose control like this. She is just laying there, slow  breathing, seems shallow, cold feet, ears, nose, mussel area. She is not trying to move, laying quiet.  She is heavy and we cannot pick her up.  Her breathing seems to be minimal, like just enough to be alive. JJ.

ANSWER: I'm sorry it took me so long to answer this but I had an emergency medical problem myself today- so I apologize for the late response.

A 12 yr old lab is going to have problems with her spine and what often happens is that they have what we call " brown outs," where the signals from the brain don't go all the way to the rear end and leg muscles. When that happens the dog will have trouble walking, or getting up from her sleep position. Often they will be walking and their legs will just give out. Eventually, the dog has a "black out" and can no longer walk. They don't feel pain, in fact they don't feel at all back there so they lose bowel control as well.

There are so many factors that can mitigate this. Heart conditions, heartworms, Obesity, Spinal stenosis (shrinking of part of the spinal cord).

As you can see it's generally something that has to be diagnosed by your vet. If she is feeling cold all over, or at her feet, this could be a sign of bad circulation which may or may not have to do with her heart.

She really needs to see a vet and soon. I hope your son came home and was able to help her up and to the vets. If not today then tomorrow.

Again I apologize. I spent a good part of the day in the ER myself.
Please let me know how she does.

QUESTION: Hi, sad news, she was put down this morning. Son is hurting a lot of course and I don't know what the vet said but I expected this outcome.  I had Justin read your e-mail and I am sure it helped to understand when the decision was reached.  Almost worse than losing a child.

Your concern and kindness is/was appreciated.  Nice that you can help others, what goes around comes around. Have a safe day.

Please enjoy nature at its best, I have had 5 sets of hummingbirds raised in my covered atrium on my big bird wind chimes. I set up a blind to make the videos and another ladder by the nest to pet the babies. Mom can't smell so she doesn't know I have been bonding with the kids. Some think the videos are all of the same bird but it is different moms.

http://www.youtube.com/user/startechnow?feature=mhee

Answer
I was afraid of this but pretty much expected this outcome. It is so very hard to lose them. I lost my beloved Annie Mouse in November at 14 from a cancer that spread from her leg to her lungs. It was the right thing to do but it just killed me.

She was the last of two dogs that I had that took me through divorce, and a lot of painful times. They are so much more than just dogs to us.

I know your son is hurting a lot right now. Please remind him that he gave her a gift that we cannot give each other- the gift to end ones suffering and pain.

Your videos are wonderful! I love to watch these and am a regular at Phoebe's cam as well. Thanks for the link, I subscribed!

Please give your son a big hug from me.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT