Ask the Veterinarian/vaccinations and heartworm medications

Question
I have a 2 yr. old chihuahua mix. She seems in good health.  She has had her rabies shots to travel to Florida.  For general good health should she be having any other vaccinations?  I have been treating her with Sentinol to prevent heart worm.  Is this something that is recommended or is it possible that the medication could could more harm if not needed?  I have no problem doing what is necessary for her good health but do not want to spend money foolishly or do not want to jeopardize her health by doing things that are not needed.

Answer
If you want this dog to stay healthy do NOT miss a single month of Sentinel and especially in Florida! Heartworm is SO BAD down there that even dogs on year round medication that are tested twice a year still can get it.

It's extremely prevenlant there. Companies like Norvartis (Sentinel) and Merck (Heartgard) do studies in Florida on heartworm disease because it's so bad down there.

You are doing the best thing for her. She should have a three year distemper/parvo vaccination as well. Dogs of any age can get both of these diseases and parvo is especially hard on Chihuahuas.

So make sure you get her vaccinated before you leave and keep her on that monthly Sentinel. I have used it for 15 yrs and I love it.

It is very safe for your dog. Believe me, fleas and heartworm disease is a lot worse for your dog then a flea hormone/heartworm prevention combo. This where the adage of an ounce of prevention is worth (hundreds) of pounds of cure!!

Safe travels to you both.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT