Ask the Veterinarian/9 yr old boston terrier suddenly passing alot of smelly gas

Question
I have a 9 yr old boston. She is very healthy. Gets lots of exercise. I feed her science diet adult small bites dog food. I'm not saying she never used to pass gas, but it was infrequent, and not that smelly.For the last two weeks, she has been passing gas every fifteen minutes, and it is unholy, really smelly.
I used to feed her a little of whatever i was eating, along with her food, but for the past three months, i have really cut back, and she gets mostly the science diet, some old roy treats, and a bit of toast. None of these foods are new for her.
Should i take her to the vet, or just wait a bit longer, and see if it passes? Her stools have been a bit on the looser side as well.
Thank you!

Answer
Well you pretty much answered your own question by telling me that you are feeding her table food, Old Roy (garbage food) and whatever else she is eating.

If you want her to stop having gas, then you need to cut out ALL human food and the Old Roy Treats. These are filled with nothing but low-cost low-nutrient high-fat and salty foods. They may even have soy but it won't be listed as such on the label.

Soy is one of the largest causes of gas in dogs. Human food, aside from the potentially fatal problems it can cause such as pancreatitis, gastritis, obesity and diabetes in dogs, will also cause gas, whether or not they are new to her.

So stick to the one food I know won't give her gas- the Science Diet.
If YOU must feed her some treats, then either buy her treats made by Science Diet or make your own with some canned Science Diet by emptying out the can, slicing up the food into 1/4 thick slabs then cooking it in a low oven until it's crunchy and can be broken into pieces.

That way she won't get any treats that are made with very questionable ingredients and you won't have to wear a clothespin on your nose. :-)

Whatever is causing the flatulence is also causing the loose stools as well.

See, what most people don't realize is that foods like Old Roy, Purina, Nutra and on and on make their food in batches by whatever is cheapest on the docks that day. They usually pool up these ingredients with other cheap pet food manufacturers and then they can get it cheaper yet. This is how so many dogs died from eating cheap brands that sourced out of China- hence the reference to the docks.

Science Diet is one of the ONLY food companies that sources ALL of their ingredients from farmers and companies all over America. They NEVER buy anything from China.
With a 50+ year history of creating wellness foods and being run by veterinarians, it's no wonder that more vets really DO feed their pets Science Diet. It's the ONLY food that my pets eat. Period.

I do not buy them treats at all.

I hope this helps. Please let me know how she does.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT