Ask the Veterinarian/Cat not responding to eye antibiotic

Took my seventh month old male kitten to the vet on 10/19/12 for a infected eye.
The vet said he didn't find any ulcers and flushed the eye. Sent me home with NPD opthalmic suspension. I put 1 drop 3x a day for a week as instructed and no results. Eye is no better or worse but, now my cat is lethargic, loosing weight but eating well. No sneezing or coughing is present. Both eyes have green discharge in the corners.

Mother of the kitten is a feral. My kitten has no vaccinations. I was about to get him his shots then this happened.

I have also used BNP with H/C with no results.

I spent $210 without any good outcome in my kittens health. Was just curious to hear your answer  to this.

I am sorry that you have shelled out that much money with no results.
The kitten should be tested for leukemia before you do much more with him.

Since his mother was feral there is a greater chance that he could have been born with leukemia and that is going to cause him to have an immune system that isn't going to function properly.

He needs to be tested then vaccinated with a 5 way vaccination IF he is negative for leukemia. He should also be tested for FIP, and FIV.
These are generally all in the one test anyway.

A green discharge means that there is certainly an infection in the eyes or the tear ducts. He could have clogged tear ducts that are infected but have something in them.

You are most likely going to be spending more money before you find out what is wrong and get it fixed, if it is indeed something that is treatable.

But start with the obvious- get him tested and proceed from there.
After that, there are so many types of eye antibiotics and if one isn't working then you need to try another. You might have to have the discharge cultured to see exactly what the infective agent is.

So get the tests run then approach the vet with changing the drugs, adding in some oral antibiotics and/or a tear duct flush.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT

PLEASE READ BEFORE SUBMITTING TO ME: I am NOT a vet and do NOT diagnose diseases. That is only for a licensed Veterinarian to do. I will give you suggestions and steer you toward calling your vet for help. You can call the vet's office and talk to the technician there or the vet at times. Don't be afraid to call them! If you have a serious issue with your pet please post it to one of the veterinarians in here- I will tell you the same thing in my answer. IF your pet is injured or in an emergency situation, CALL YOUR VET- Do not wait and post in here. Just call the vet's office and get them in to see the vet right away. Critical treatment time is lost if you seek answers here when you should have your precious pet at the vets!! Don't sit at home waiting for an answer when your pet is critically ill or injured!! I can answer most questions about small animal and wildlife care as well as small animal nutrition. I can also answer questions about all phases of dental care for small animals. I DO NOT answer questions about birds (unless it is wildlife or songbirds) or HAMSTERS/GERBILS/CHINS/GUINEA PIGS/REPTILES/FROGS/RABBITS/PET BIRDS OF ANY KIND so please submit these questions to the appropriate sections. I, as well as other experts in here, do NOT do homework questions- that is for YOU to do! Please respect these rules for all of us. Thanks!

I have over 35 years experience in the field of veterinary medicine. I specialized in small animals and did wildlife rehab for over 25 years, mostly raptors, squirrels and opossums. I am a Small Animal Nutritional Consultant with 6 certificates from Hills Pet Foods, CNM and Purina. I also specialized in Small Animal Dentistry which is a field I truly love.

Audubon,World Wildlife Federation, American Society of Veterinary Dental Technicians.

Licensed with California and Oregon, RVT and CVT. Certified Veterinary Dental Technician Have over 550 logged hours of Continuing Education Credits(that means I keep up to date!).

Nominated for Expert of the Month for the last 5 years.