Ask the Veterinarian/Cat vomiting white foam

Question
My cat has started vomiting a few times a day the past two days.  She cries before she vomits.  She gags and then only some white foam comes up.  She then seems OK.  She is an indoor cat.  I'm starting to get worried.

Answer
Have you recently changed her food? How old is she and what do you feed her?

Most cats do make awful noises before they vomit, so that isn't anything weird.

I would call your vet if she continues to vomit since a cat going for two days is long enough. She might have eaten some plant around the house or gotten into something she shouldn't have.

If she isn't vomiting food or yellow bile that is a good sign but she needs to have something to stop the vomiting.

Don't feed her anything but some boiled   rice and hamburger or turkey and don't feed her that until tomorrow. Take up her food now and don't feed her a thing until tomorrow at this time. Sometimes a 24 fast is all they need to settle down their gut.

If you have changed her food recently and quickly it could be that is what started this. You must always switch foods slowly over seven days.

So try the fast then boil her up some food and see how she does. If she is still vomiting after fasting you need to call your vet. She could have a blockage from eating something small but impassible.

Cats can get those as well as dogs.
Please let me know how she does...  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT