Ask the Veterinarian/Injured cat with no appetite

My male cat has extra toes up front. A few days ago I found and "ingrown" claw, growing its way back around and through his own paw. The affected area was becoming infected, but didn't seem to bother the cat at all. Looking closely, I carefully removed the entire troublesome claw from his paw, as it had grown all the way through! Again, none of this seemed to bother him at all, and I expected to see positive change, but he shows no interest in food. He has been sleeping continuously and were on the third day. Just wondering what more I can do for him?

This happens quite often to polydactyl cats and dogs with the curly kind of attached dew claws. Some owners never see them until they start smelling them.

You say that it "but didn't seem to bother the cat at all" but in fact he is very much bothered because he isn't eating and is lethargic. His infections are probably making him very run down which means he doesn't have a lot of immune system power going on.

He needs some antibiotics and he should be tested for leukemia if he isn't fighting off these infections.

Three days is the critical zone for a cat to go without eating. After three days the cat is facing risk of developing a fatty liver and that can be fatal very quickly.

He needs to see a vet tomorrow and he needs antibiotics and some good quality food to help him heal. You should ask your vet for some Val Tonic as well. It is a liver- vitamin B supplement that really boosts a cat's health and immune system.  

So call your vet tomorrow and get him in. I hope he bounces back quickly.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT

PLEASE READ BEFORE SUBMITTING TO ME: I am NOT a vet and do NOT diagnose diseases. That is only for a licensed Veterinarian to do. I will give you suggestions and steer you toward calling your vet for help. You can call the vet's office and talk to the technician there or the vet at times. Don't be afraid to call them! If you have a serious issue with your pet please post it to one of the veterinarians in here- I will tell you the same thing in my answer. IF your pet is injured or in an emergency situation, CALL YOUR VET- Do not wait and post in here. Just call the vet's office and get them in to see the vet right away. Critical treatment time is lost if you seek answers here when you should have your precious pet at the vets!! Don't sit at home waiting for an answer when your pet is critically ill or injured!! I can answer most questions about small animal and wildlife care as well as small animal nutrition. I can also answer questions about all phases of dental care for small animals. I DO NOT answer questions about birds (unless it is wildlife or songbirds) or HAMSTERS/GERBILS/CHINS/GUINEA PIGS/REPTILES/FROGS/RABBITS/PET BIRDS OF ANY KIND so please submit these questions to the appropriate sections. I, as well as other experts in here, do NOT do homework questions- that is for YOU to do! Please respect these rules for all of us. Thanks!

I have over 35 years experience in the field of veterinary medicine. I specialized in small animals and did wildlife rehab for over 25 years, mostly raptors, squirrels and opossums. I am a Small Animal Nutritional Consultant with 6 certificates from Hills Pet Foods, CNM and Purina. I also specialized in Small Animal Dentistry which is a field I truly love.

Audubon,World Wildlife Federation, American Society of Veterinary Dental Technicians.

Licensed with California and Oregon, RVT and CVT. Certified Veterinary Dental Technician Have over 550 logged hours of Continuing Education Credits(that means I keep up to date!).

Nominated for Expert of the Month for the last 5 years.