Ask the Veterinarian/My Poor Rabbit.

My rabbit is acting very weird. how can i find out whats wrong with her?

My rabbit is about half a year old. we have 2 rabbits at the same age. but my white bunny ,Bunners, is acting very weird. she is lying down lifeless and will only sit up if we lay her a certain way. when we pick her up its like she is dead in our arms. she has been stretched out since 7:30AM. what do i do?
11 hours ago - 4 days left to answer.

Its now been 24 hours since we found her like this, their has been no change. my black bunny, midnight, has been sitting with her for 12. we have been up with them all night. She has not been eating but she is drinking off our finger. her eyes are looking heavy now and her breathing is on and off fast. when she poops, its in big lumps of diarrhea, she dont even move when she does it, She also pees herself too. she will just lye there and do nothing. She will sit up if we place her a certain way though, she will be able to move her head and everything, but what scares me the most is when Midnight cuddles into her she shakes. What does that mean? we cannot afford to take her to a vet so how much longer do you think i will have left with my precious bunnies? I say Bunnies because Midnight is very attached over Bunners, and soon after Bunners dies, Midnight will die too out of depression, they were together their whole lives. Please try and give me some ideas that would help.

I have no idea what I could possibly do so far away. Have you tried to give her subq fluids under her skin? Have you tried to give her any electrolytes by mouth?
She is obviously dying and if this were my bunny I would be RUSHING her into a vet hospital. Part of owning any pet is being responsible for their medical care as well as their everyday care and feeding.

You need to get her into a vet NOW and hope that they can turn this around. You may have waited too long as it is.

I doubt if your other bunny will die of depression but she might from the same illness that is affecting this first rabbit.

Take them both in but especially the first one!! Sitting and watching your pet die when it could be treated is really not an option and not one I can advocate.

I hope you do get her some medical help very quickly.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT

PLEASE READ BEFORE SUBMITTING TO ME: I am NOT a vet and do NOT diagnose diseases. That is only for a licensed Veterinarian to do. I will give you suggestions and steer you toward calling your vet for help. You can call the vet's office and talk to the technician there or the vet at times. Don't be afraid to call them! If you have a serious issue with your pet please post it to one of the veterinarians in here- I will tell you the same thing in my answer. IF your pet is injured or in an emergency situation, CALL YOUR VET- Do not wait and post in here. Just call the vet's office and get them in to see the vet right away. Critical treatment time is lost if you seek answers here when you should have your precious pet at the vets!! Don't sit at home waiting for an answer when your pet is critically ill or injured!! I can answer most questions about small animal and wildlife care as well as small animal nutrition. I can also answer questions about all phases of dental care for small animals. I DO NOT answer questions about birds (unless it is wildlife or songbirds) or HAMSTERS/GERBILS/CHINS/GUINEA PIGS/REPTILES/FROGS/RABBITS/PET BIRDS OF ANY KIND so please submit these questions to the appropriate sections. I, as well as other experts in here, do NOT do homework questions- that is for YOU to do! Please respect these rules for all of us. Thanks!

I have over 35 years experience in the field of veterinary medicine. I specialized in small animals and did wildlife rehab for over 25 years, mostly raptors, squirrels and opossums. I am a Small Animal Nutritional Consultant with 6 certificates from Hills Pet Foods, CNM and Purina. I also specialized in Small Animal Dentistry which is a field I truly love.

Audubon,World Wildlife Federation, American Society of Veterinary Dental Technicians.

Licensed with California and Oregon, RVT and CVT. Certified Veterinary Dental Technician Have over 550 logged hours of Continuing Education Credits(that means I keep up to date!).

Nominated for Expert of the Month for the last 5 years.