Ask the Veterinarian/rabies

Question
will i get rabies in the following scenario?
I and my friend were pumping a chilly in the mouth of two puppies ( for fun). They were throwing it out. There was not that much saliva on the thrown chilly and the stick. I picked that chilly lightly with my right hand and then threw it in their mouth. This continued for 2-3 times. I am not sure whether the saliva was on my hand. It was dry though. Yet i rubbed it on the ground. Then after 5-7 min i rubbed my eyes gently from the end towards the nose. And yes my hand slightly touched the eye as i could feel irration in my eyes. Will i get rabies? And i contacted 3 doctors and they said no

Answer
Well first of all, what's a chilly? And secondly, are these puppies yours?

If they are your puppies and they are vaccinated, then you have nothing to worry about.(if they are not vaccinated against rabies, then get it done soon).

If they are not your puppies, but are healthy puppies that belong to someone you know, then you are probably fine.

If they are puppies that climbed out of a garbage dump in India and ran up and bit you, then you might get rabies.

Rabies is almost always contracted from a rabid animal biting you during their contagious stage- which is known as the "furious" stage- and that is when they bit other animals and people, run in circles and cannot drink water,hence the "foaming at the mouth" syndrome.

Very rarely a scientist will contract rabies from working with bats in a lab.

Your doctors are probably right- you will be fine.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT