Ask the Veterinarian/rabies

will i get rabies in the following
I and my friend were pumping a
chilly in the mouth of two
puppies ( for fun). They were
throwing it out. There was not
that much saliva on the thrown
chilly and the stick. I picked that
chilly lightly with my right hand
and then threw it in their mouth.
This continued for 2-3 times. I
am not sure whether the saliva
was on my hand. It was dry
though. Yet i rubbed it on the
ground. Then after 5-7 min i
rubbed my eyes gently from the
end towards the nose. And yes
my hand slightly touched the eye
as i could feel irration in my eyes.
Will i get rabies? And i contacted
3 doctors and they said no. Those puppies were brought by my friend from a street dog just after birth. They looked healthy and played with us. They were more than a month old.

I agree with the doctors that you will not get rabies. The saliva needs to go in through a wound.
The real way to know for sure is that if the puppies are still alive and healthy 10 days after you played with them, you COULD NOT have gotten Rabies, as the organism can only be spread from one individual to another when the infected one is within 10 days of death, and usually within a few days of severe neurological symptoms.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Christina Chambreau

I can give you the holistic approach to any problem, mostly for dogs and cats and some farm animals and horses. Depending on the condition and the type of animal, I will be able to give very specific treatment suggestions such as what flower essences, homeopathic remedies, nutritional supplements, diet changes, lifestyle changes or herbs that may be helpful - not drugs. I can also suggest where you can go for further education or to find a specialist in a specific holistic field. I can help you understand why your animal is ill and what improvements can be expected. I do not check messages more than every one to two days, so PLEASE DO NOT ask about EMERGENCIES - call your local veterinarian. I cannot diagnose your animal. I cannot prescribe specific treatments. I am no longer very current with conventional treatments, so cannot answer questions on those. I am not an expert on birds or small critters. I am not an expert in breeding, birthing or babies.

I graduated from the University of Georgia College of Veterinary Medicine in 1980 and began using homeopathy in my practice after a client introduced me to it. By 1988 I was using exclusively holistic treatments. I began lecturing in 1987 and have spoken at veterinary conferences, health food stores, people's homes, churches, veterinary college conferences - anywhere people want to learn more about keeping their animals healthy.

Academy of Veterinary Homeopathy (I helped found this one) American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association National Center for Homeopathy American Veterinary Medical Association

I have written in many magazines, journals and newspapers. A few include Bark Magazine; Journal of the AHVMA; Baltimore Dog Magazine; Whole Dog Journal; Tiger Tribe; Wolf Clan. I have also been frequently interviewed on radio and TV. I am Associate Editor for the Integrative Veterinary Care Journal, so often have articles there.

Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) Certified Veterinary Homeopath (CVH)