Ask the Veterinarian/runt of litter has stuffy nose

Due our female Boston Terrier's incredible personality, we decided to let her have one litter of pups before we fix her.  The pups, 6 in the litter, are now exactly 2 weeks old.  They've more than doubled in size, are active and verbal.

We have not noticed any loose stools, or discoloration in the stools, though momma dog is still cleaning up after them so it's possible there's something we haven't seen.

Our concern is with the runt of the litter, Tattoo.  This little boy seems to be eating well, and is also active and verbal, but last night we noticed that he seems to have a stuffy nose.  He's gained the least amount of weight, and we noticed his nose issue after we decided to supplement his diet with puppy formula to ensure he was getting a fair share of food since his siblings are so much larger than him.

is there anything we can do at home to give him some relief?  At what point should we take him to a vet?  I imagine that some degree of snuffling is common in flat faced breeds, and I don't want to over react.  But more importantly I don;t want to UNDER react!  The nose discharge is clear.

Thanks for helping :)

If the discharge is clear then it might not be stuffy but a result of being a short nosed breed.

If he is having trouble breathing to the point of gasping then I would think there is a blockage going on.  

Two weeks old is too young to wait long if there is a problem, but usually an infection or even mucous is going to be a greenish discharge.

If you are concerned about it and he cannot breathe well at night then I would consult your vet.

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT

PLEASE READ BEFORE SUBMITTING TO ME: I am NOT a vet and do NOT diagnose diseases. That is only for a licensed Veterinarian to do. I will give you suggestions and steer you toward calling your vet for help. You can call the vet's office and talk to the technician there or the vet at times. Don't be afraid to call them! If you have a serious issue with your pet please post it to one of the veterinarians in here- I will tell you the same thing in my answer. IF your pet is injured or in an emergency situation, CALL YOUR VET- Do not wait and post in here. Just call the vet's office and get them in to see the vet right away. Critical treatment time is lost if you seek answers here when you should have your precious pet at the vets!! Don't sit at home waiting for an answer when your pet is critically ill or injured!! I can answer most questions about small animal and wildlife care as well as small animal nutrition. I can also answer questions about all phases of dental care for small animals. I DO NOT answer questions about birds (unless it is wildlife or songbirds) or HAMSTERS/GERBILS/CHINS/GUINEA PIGS/REPTILES/FROGS/RABBITS/PET BIRDS OF ANY KIND so please submit these questions to the appropriate sections. I, as well as other experts in here, do NOT do homework questions- that is for YOU to do! Please respect these rules for all of us. Thanks!

I have over 35 years experience in the field of veterinary medicine. I specialized in small animals and did wildlife rehab for over 25 years, mostly raptors, squirrels and opossums. I am a Small Animal Nutritional Consultant with 6 certificates from Hills Pet Foods, CNM and Purina. I also specialized in Small Animal Dentistry which is a field I truly love.

Audubon,World Wildlife Federation, American Society of Veterinary Dental Technicians.

Licensed with California and Oregon, RVT and CVT. Certified Veterinary Dental Technician Have over 550 logged hours of Continuing Education Credits(that means I keep up to date!).

Nominated for Expert of the Month for the last 5 years.