Ask the Veterinarian/strange 'extra' in kitten's eyes

Question
Hello Doctor Connell,
Please can you help me?
I am about to adopt a kitten of 8 weeks old and whilst looking at him I noticed that the dark line that encircles the iris -- rather than just being a normal full circle -- it is like a capital 'q' (basically a full circle that has a tiny tail that curves onto the white of the eye. it's about 2 mm long, and is the same width/colour as the dark circle, almost like a 'continuation', if that makes any sense).
Please could you let me know what this is. It is worrying me a bit and I'm meant to be picking him up next week.
btw He seems very lively and his vision appeared excellent to me, so I can't imagine what this could be. His 'foster mother' doesn't know what it is. I asked her today. (I only checked one eye, (silly me!) so not sure if it's both eyes or only the one).
Please help, if you can.
Many thanks,
With kindest regards,
Cher

Answer
Hi Cher,
I am not a doctor, and as a vet tech I can only suggest that you take this kitten in to be seen by a vet. It is probably nothing to worry about, but since I can't see it and a vet really should, there is not much I can tell you.

If you are buying this kitten (I hope it's a rescue) then make sure you get a guarantee if there is something wrong with it's eyes.

It sounds like nothing major but always get something in writing, just in case.They should pay for your first vet visit anyway.

So call your vet and get him in. He will need vaccinations anyway.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT