Ask the Veterinarian/Stray Cats

Question
Hello, There are a lot of stray cats in my boyfriends neighborhood and his mother leaves food on her porch for them so they have started to come around a lot. A two cats just gave birth to a litter under her porch and they are starting to walk around and she is noticing blood everywhere. It is coming from the kittens noses. Is there something store bought she can buy to help save the kittens? There is no way she can take every one of the cats to the vet and she cant treat only a few because the other cats will just give it right back to the treated ones, right?

Answer
This is a pretty overwhelming problem you have going on here. Your BFs mom needs to start trapping these cats and having them spayed at a low cost clinic or somewhere or pretty soon there will be HUNDREDS of strays around there.

Since you have no way of knowing why these kittens are bleeding there is no way for you to treat them with anything. What are you going to use if you haven't got a clue what's wrong?

She needs to call animal control and remove these cats or start catching them one at a time and getting them taken care of. Being strays they could all have leukemia or be spreading viruses amongst themselves that may not be fatal like leukemia but are nonetheless really severe diseases.

There is no easy answer to this situation at all. I would call animal control Monday and have them bring some live traps or you catch the mom's first yourself and get them spayed.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT