Ask the Veterinarian/Urinating and my Puppy

We have an 11 mo. old male neutered Lhasa Poo. He is housebroken and in good health. He is up to date on his shots also. We have a problem with him peeing when guests visit. Even if he has just been out for a walk he still urinates some. Since he is excited he usually wets peoples feet. We have tried having people ignore and make no eye contact with him. Do you think we have a chance he might still out grow this? Do you have any other ideas? He is so good, never has accidents other than this. Your help will be appreciated. Thank you

What he has is called "submissive wetting" and it's very common and is usually outgrown. Only very skittish, submissive dogs won't outgrow this and that isn't common. Some adult dogs will do it when they submit to another bigger or more alpha dog.

You are right not to make eye contact with him but don't punish him either. He isn't trying to be bad and cannot help this. It is handed down from the days of the wolf and it's very dominant in wolf packs still.

He is just showing you and your guests that he is "at your service and whim" and that he loves you.

Because he is good and doesn't bark or jump up he should be rewarded for that after he settles down some.

But yes, he will outgrow it.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT

PLEASE READ BEFORE SUBMITTING TO ME: I am NOT a vet and do NOT diagnose diseases. That is only for a licensed Veterinarian to do. I will give you suggestions and steer you toward calling your vet for help. You can call the vet's office and talk to the technician there or the vet at times. Don't be afraid to call them! If you have a serious issue with your pet please post it to one of the veterinarians in here- I will tell you the same thing in my answer. IF your pet is injured or in an emergency situation, CALL YOUR VET- Do not wait and post in here. Just call the vet's office and get them in to see the vet right away. Critical treatment time is lost if you seek answers here when you should have your precious pet at the vets!! Don't sit at home waiting for an answer when your pet is critically ill or injured!! I can answer most questions about small animal and wildlife care as well as small animal nutrition. I can also answer questions about all phases of dental care for small animals. I DO NOT answer questions about birds (unless it is wildlife or songbirds) or HAMSTERS/GERBILS/CHINS/GUINEA PIGS/REPTILES/FROGS/RABBITS/PET BIRDS OF ANY KIND so please submit these questions to the appropriate sections. I, as well as other experts in here, do NOT do homework questions- that is for YOU to do! Please respect these rules for all of us. Thanks!

I have over 35 years experience in the field of veterinary medicine. I specialized in small animals and did wildlife rehab for over 25 years, mostly raptors, squirrels and opossums. I am a Small Animal Nutritional Consultant with 6 certificates from Hills Pet Foods, CNM and Purina. I also specialized in Small Animal Dentistry which is a field I truly love.

Audubon,World Wildlife Federation, American Society of Veterinary Dental Technicians.

Licensed with California and Oregon, RVT and CVT. Certified Veterinary Dental Technician Have over 550 logged hours of Continuing Education Credits(that means I keep up to date!).

Nominated for Expert of the Month for the last 5 years.