Ask the Veterinarian/White Mini Poodle has apricot spot on lower back

Question
Dusty Rose was born 2/7/2011 she is a delight and has a regular vet and is very healthy.  4 weeks ago she was stung by a Bee/Wasp we went to the emergency Vet.  She had a bit of a  shock but by the time we reached the Vet they determined she was fine and had come out of the face rubbing on everything and was herself again.  Well now she has a quarter size short hair apricot spot on her back.  What might it be.  It is not red or itchy or anything but short apricot hair that is smooth on her other white curly back.

Answer
It is very common for poodles to grow a different colored hair in over an injury or trauma to their skin. It's a rather interesting phenomenon. What makes it interesting is that later on the original hair color grows back in (usually) but it can take 3-9 months for this to happen.

So just give it time and it will probably disappear so gradually that you will just suddenly realize that the apricot color is gone.

I don't recall one dog that never grew back in the first colored hair. You can just tell others she is a mini party-color in the meantime.:-)

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT