Ask the Veterinarian/wolf worm

Hi our dog is nine months old we live in qn apartment complex with a bunch of cats. His skin keeps breaking out and he naws at it until its raw. or atleast thats what we thought but our inlaws said it was a wolf worm. neither of us has ever heard of it can you help by givibg us suggestions to make him stop breaking our or. a way of telking if its the wolf worm?

If it is a Cuterebra larva (wolf worm) then there will be a little breathing hole in the skin and if you look closely with a magnifying glass you can see the worm's head moving. You should have a vet look at the skin if the dog is gnawing.  It could be an infection or something else, like mange mites.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Louis N. Gotthelf

Dermatology and ear diseases of dogs and cats

I am the author of "Small Animal Ear Diseases; An Illustrated Guide" published by W.B. Saunders. I have over 25 years of clinical experience with a special interest in dermatologic conditions and ear diseases.

American Academy of Veterinary Dermatology

Veterinary Forum
Veterinary Medicine
Waltham Focus