Ask the Veterinarian/Black,scaly lesions on dogs belly,vaginal area?

Hello Dr. Gotthelf<

Our 8 yr old Shitzu-Griffon mix female has black,itchy,scaly lesions on belly,tail,hips,underarms and vaginal areas at various times. Vet treats her with 1/2 tab.100 mg Cefpodoxine for 20 days, off 10 days and the back on for 20.  A continuous Pulse therapy, he calls it. Also use GenOne Spray, gentamicin sulfate,betamethasone valerate equivalent to 0.284 mg Betamethazone PRN. Also bath once or twice a week with Chlorhexadine shampoo,4%.

Lesions seem to come and go at various places on dog's underbody. Treatment may help a little but is ongoing and presently the tail,vaginal area and hips are affected.

Last shampoo I tried had 3% chlorhexadine and an anti-fungal- to no avail.

We would be most grateful for any advice or suggestions.

Phil Bokoch

Would be

Cases like this are very difficult to do on the internet.  All I can suggest is to try and get the vet to do some diagnostics, like allergy testing, skin scrapings, cultures for both yeast and bacteria, and a food trial for food allergies.  A skin biopsy may also give some information as to the type of disease causing this chronic infection.

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Louis N. Gotthelf

Dermatology and ear diseases of dogs and cats

I am the author of "Small Animal Ear Diseases; An Illustrated Guide" published by W.B. Saunders. I have over 25 years of clinical experience with a special interest in dermatologic conditions and ear diseases.

American Academy of Veterinary Dermatology

Veterinary Forum
Veterinary Medicine
Waltham Focus