Ask the Veterinarian/throwing up

Question
My cat is 18 years old, and has been throwing up Id say about 3-4 times out of the week. Hes in good health, he still plays and acts like a kitten. Im just curious what it can be? He doesnt like car rides, and I dont want to stress him out more by taking him to the vet. Hes my baby and Im really stressed out. Thank you.

Answer
At 18 years of age, there are many things that can cause chronic vomiting.  The most common reason is kidneys that are failing.  Unfortunately, the only way to know is to get blood tests done to see if the cat's internal organs are starting to age and lose their function.  Older cats can also have thyroid tumors that cause chronic vomiting and weight loss.  The treatment depends on the diagnosis, so it is impossible for me to be very specific with you on the internet.

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Louis N. Gotthelf