Ask the Veterinarian/dog with allergy

Question
hi. mu shitzu 25 pounds has runny nose and  he barks with some difficulty. like when he is inhaling to bark he struggles. and when he sleeps he snores. i suspect is asthma. the vet always put him under general anesthesia to cut his hair. is anesthesia dangerous for dogs with breading problems? the anesthesia is because he bites. thanks. Doris.

Answer
If the vet sedates the dog and monitors the dog while sedated, there is really not much danger.  We have a grooming shop and it is a common procedure to have to sedate some of these animals for grooming.  We watch them carefully and monitor their body temperature so that they will metabolize the drugs quicker.

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Louis N. Gotthelf