Ask the Veterinarian/grooming her hair off

I have a 10 year old female cat that has 'groomed' her side, and base of her tail until her fur is Very short.  I've massaged vitamin E oil into spots she makes raw, it seems to help heal.  She's never alone very long. I say that because she was abandoned but I've had her for 4 months and this has just started.  I don't know what to do.

I've tried;

Sponge bath & foam bath- she likes it
added fish oil to her food,once a week or it's hard on her system
upgraded her food

Cats eat their hair off (Barbering) as a way to scratch itching.  Usually this is caused by allergies.  Your vet can give a long acting shot of a steroid and that should help relieve the itching so she will stop this behavior and allow the hairs to regrow.

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Louis N. Gotthelf

Dermatology and ear diseases of dogs and cats

I am the author of "Small Animal Ear Diseases; An Illustrated Guide" published by W.B. Saunders. I have over 25 years of clinical experience with a special interest in dermatologic conditions and ear diseases.

American Academy of Veterinary Dermatology

Veterinary Forum
Veterinary Medicine
Waltham Focus