Ask the Veterinarian/Arthritis

Question
I am hoping there is something more I can do to help my dog. She is a 12 year old Chesapeake Bay Retriever suffering from arthritis.  My vet has her on Novox 75mg 2x/day, Tramadol 100mg 2x/day, and we give her one human grade tablet of Glucosamine 750mg, Chondroitin Sulfate Sodium 600 mg per day. She is epileptic but it is well controlled on 375 mg Potassium Bromide 2x/day. Her weight is good between 75 and 80 lbs. She is very lethargic and struggles to get up and manage short stairs. Thanks for your help.

Answer
This is a tough one Francyn because you are doing pretty much all you can now. The only thing I can suggest is that you try Deramaxx instead of the Novox. I had much better results with my dog and Deramaxx for pain. It is also less hard on the liver.

Have you had her weighed recently? If she weighs more than your guess that could contribute to the problem but since your vet is dosing her based on her weight I'm guessing he weighed her.'

I really don't know what else you could do but I do know that hundreds of people have also had extremely good results by putting their dogs on J/D, a food made by Hills that is just for this problem.

It is formulated for dogs with joint pain, arthritis and mobility issues,of any age.
You can learn more about it here:
http://www.hillspet.com/products/pd-canine-jd-canine-mobility-dry.html
Be sure to read the reviews and look at all the tabs. There are some videos as well from owners who have seen a dramatic change in their dogs.

That is about all I can suggest right now. You are doing her the best you can. Just know that she knows that. And loves you no matter what..:-)

I hope she gets better relief from the Deramaxx if you switch her.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT